Service Fuel Sysytem warning - Cadillac XLR Forum: XLR and XLR-V Forums
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Cadillac XLR Forum: XLR and XLR-V Forums > XLR Discussion > Cadillac XLR Technical Discussion

XlrForum.com is the premier Cadillac XLR Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
Lance Joseph

Service Fuel Sysytem warning

Yesterday on my 2007 XLR the driver info center started warning "Service Fuel System", and gas gauge read empty, but when I toggled through the info center it still was able to give me "miles to empty" amount, and it changed as I drove, including resetting to 300miles plus after I filled tank, so I believe it can read the amount of gas. When I start the car, the gauge sweeps to full as always, but then drops back to empty, and warning returns. I brought it to a GM Cadillac dealer today, and they are saying I need both fuel pumps, etc at over $3,300. Seems crazy since car works fine and computer can tell me how many miles to empty. Anybody else experience this. my direct email is lancejoseph@bellsouth.net. Thanks for any ideas, etc.

Lance
Lance Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
XLR I FL
Administrator

Lance:

Welcome.

Sorry about your problems.

This bulletin covers the 2004 XLR but appears to be the same issue.

http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.go...0015-41488.pdf

See if there is another one for your car on the site.

Regards

Jerry
XLR I FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
ccclarke
Administrator

The dealership should have provided you with a sheet detailing what symptoms you provided, what testing they conducted, what the results were, and the recommended fix. Post that info and then a better answer can be given here.

There is only one (venturi-style) fuel pump, located in the left tank. Pressure from this is used to activate a siphon pump in the right tank. Both units are pretty reliable and based on the proven, two tank Corvette design. The fuel system is a PITA to service, since the integrated sender units are in each tank, along with the fuel filter. There's a lot of interference to remove, which accounts for a higher than average labor rate. This problem could be caused by a bad sender unit, but without test result codes, it's just logical guessing on my part.

CC

Last edited by ccclarke; 07-21-2012 at 06:35 PM.
ccclarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
Lance Joseph

Thanks for the response. I should have listed the two codes that were found. They are P2066 and P2636, which are Fuel level sender B and Fuel Pump B, which as I understand refer to the 10psi transfer pump from the left to right tanks. When filled, it took 11 gallons, so it is transferring on fill, leading me to to believe both pumps are still working fine. A Corvette service tech mentioned that it sounds similar to a Vette issue which is usually repaired by replacing a wire from the B fuel sensor, and suggested that I try a Chevy dealership that may have had more experience doing it on Vettes, and that only one tank had to be dropped, unless I got lucky and it was a loose connector on the top of the tank that could be easily re-connected while on a lift
Lance Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:02 AM   #5
awaterworld

Did this get resolved? I just had the same thing happen to my 08 XLR-V,, "service fuel system" in DIC and gas gauge says empty, this happened with about 1/4 tank. Filled it and added some fuel system/injector cleaner as well,, nothing changed. It seems like I read this is because of a stored DTC code? And "clearing"? the codes might correct it? if only for awhile? If so, how do I clear any stored codes???? unhook battery? if so how long?

thanks
awaterworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement