back-up sensor flashes - Cadillac XLR Forum: XLR and XLR-V Forums
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Cadillac XLR Forum: XLR and XLR-V Forums > XLR Discussion > Cadillac XLR Technical Discussion > Electrical, Battery, Alternator and Wiring

XlrForum.com is the premier Cadillac XLR Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
arkansaswms

back-up sensor flashes

any common faults to check when the back-up red light between and behind the seats flash and the indicator doesn't work. One thing- the seat-belt buzzer was disconnected by the previous owner (if it ever did have one).
arkansaswms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
ccclarke
Administrator

The Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist (URPA --since everything in the XLR seems to have an acronym) system is the only electronic system that isn't connected to the XLR' diagnostic bus.

To troubleshoot it in any detail, you use the supplied MK-1, Mod 1 Eyeball and URPA LED indicators. During start-up, the LEDs are checked and if there's a problem, the red outside indicator flashes to flag a problem. To find out what the problem is, you need to install a jumper in the URPA module connector to short a pin to ground.

There isn't much to this system. A module, four sensors, an LED indicator, power, ground and a speed input. There is a chime control signal on pin 22 (Light Green wire) that the previous owner may have disabled.

Not knowing your abilities with a multi-meter, I'll pass on writing up detailed troubleshooting procedures and wait for more detailed questions.

CC

Last edited by ccclarke; 03-27-2011 at 11:25 PM. Reason: spelwing
ccclarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
arkansaswms

Thanks, time for me to do a little research now.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:52 PM   #4
tonypro99
XLR Pit Crew

I was wondering if we would be able to hook up additional sensors in the front bumper and tie it into the unit so it would flash when operated under 5mph or something around that?
tonypro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:28 PM   #5
ccclarke
Administrator

Wouldn't that be fun to have to contend with in bumper-to-bumper traffic . . .

URPA is enabled when the car is in reverse and your eyes are on the rear view mirror to view the direction you're traveling and the URPA LED indicators.

CC
Old 03-31-2011, 12:32 PM   #6
arkansaswms

ok, now I am confused. I just ASSUMED that the back-up hazard indicator would be a beeper. Not the little light between the seats: that was there just to show that the system was working. Right? Cause I like the idea of a hazard indicator in the front too. Volumn controled of course.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:23 PM   #7
xlrlist01
XLR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkansaswms View Post
ok, now I am confused. I just ASSUMED that the back-up hazard indicator would be a beeper. Not the little light between the seats: that was there just to show that the system was working. Right? Cause I like the idea of a hazard indicator in the front too. Volumn controled of course.
It is both. If you go too fast backwards you get red flashing. I can't remember all the other things it does.
xlrlist01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:45 PM   #8
ccclarke
Administrator

The owner's manual explains the operation of the Rear Parking Assist function. If you don't have a manual, they're freely available for pdf download online.
CC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement