Remote Starter - Cadillac XLR Forum: XLR and XLR-V Forums
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Cadillac XLR Forum: XLR and XLR-V Forums > XLR Discussion > Cadillac XLR Technical Discussion

XlrForum.com is the premier Cadillac XLR Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:05 PM   #1
lyons4life

Remote Starter

New to the forum.

I am buying a 2006 XLR (9000 Miles) (Factory Certified) for my wife for Christmas. (I know, Hubby points)

Long story short, Oldest son (23) was involved in a multi vehicle accident and lost his 1997 Catera.

Mom and I are helping out a bit and selling him Mom's 2006 STS (2006 Christmas present)(Yes I know I am setting myself up for failure.

She is giving up three things to move to the XLR (Willingly)(Grin)

1. Heated Steering wheel (Can't help that)
2. Bluetooth (She doesn't care, really) With the top down you couldn't use it anyway.
3. Remote start.

We live near Baltimore and she must park outside. She has become spoiled by the factory remote start on the STS.

Has anyone had any experieince with an aftermarket system that would give her back the Remote start capability?

Best case scenario would be a seemless install. (other than taking the Fob out of her purse to start it) it would be ideal for her to walk up to the car, open the door without taking her keys out, sitting down, and pushing the start button (as she does now in the STS)

I would even consider a high end replacement Alarm system if that would give her that functionality.

Robert

I tried looking through the forum, but cannot find anything related.
lyons4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #2
XLR I FL
Administrator

FIRST WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

I am not familiar with an aftermarket system that will act as the STS system does and include remote start.

If you are in Baltimore possibly the people at Chesapeke Cadillac can be of some help (York Road ****eysville). (Yes I used to live there)

Also I would also ask the Mercedes dealer for a reliable afermarket shop that can be of help. Maybe over off of 695 near Parksville.

The XLR does have a similiar unlock and keyless start system. It will "recognise" the owner of the key Fob and will allow you to start the car with the push button on the dash.

I would however strongly suggest that you buy and become familiar with the key fob battery replacement process in case the cold reduces the fob battery life.

I wish I could be of more help but maybe one of the other members will come up with another solution.
XLR I FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:59 AM   #3
deadringer
XLR Pit Crew

Apparently you CAN add a remote start system...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTMR5MwvjqI
Old 03-04-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
ccclarke
Administrator

The video shown is of the Viper Smart Start system. This system was discussed in a thread on another forum recently. It seems while they were able to get a newer vette and XLR (both have Easy Key systems) to start, they had major reliability issues with being able to get into the car and shut it off, and weren't recommending installing the system for either car. Just to avoid a major hassle, I would call the vendor and see if they've resolved this issue before buying one.

Caveat emptor,

CC

Last edited by ccclarke; 03-04-2010 at 08:46 AM.
ccclarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
SnakePit

the video referenced by deadringer is of a successful remote start installed by us in a 2006 XLR with a Viper 5301, no Smart Start installed in this particular one. The car was literally just done yesterday and the video was posted last night, glad to see that word got around quick!

yes it is true that GMs push to start vehicles were once not recommended because there wasn't a reliable way to mimic what happens when a person starts the car. Fortunately that has changed and we've successfully been able to integrate into it. We also ran a dealer scan tool to check for any DTCs to confirm a successful installation.

Just as the video states, the vehicle will remote start, shut down on unauthorized entry and by remote, unless unlock on the Viper remote is used, in which case it WILL allow you to open the door and drive away without shutting the car down.
SnakePit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:35 AM   #6
lyons4life

What goes around....

I guess that since I started this thread I should pop back in.

Amazing how things come back after all this time.

I watched the video and have a question.

I noticed that the Walk up and open the door feature of the OEM Key FOB is disabled when the XLR has been started using the Viper remote start.

What about normally? If not started with the Viper remote, will my wife be able to walk up to the car (Keys in purse) and open the locked door and push to start as normal (Pre Viper install)?

Now the tough part. Would there be anyone of your caliber (Yes sucking up) on the East Coast that could complete the installation? Are there extra items needed to complete the installtion? I would love to discuss the additional details, but many are probably well left in the hands of the professionals doing the installation. How do you get around the need for an XLR FOB in the car to start?

I know, I said a question.

This is my wife's dream (Toy) car and replaced an STS with Heated steering wheel and Remote Start. I'm trying to at least give her back the remote start.

Thanks

Robert
lyons4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #7
SnakePit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyons4life View Post
I watched the video and have a question.

I noticed that the Walk up and open the door feature of the OEM Key FOB is disabled when the XLR has been started using the Viper remote start.

What about normally? If not started with the Viper remote, will my wife be able to walk up to the car (Keys in purse) and open the locked door and push to start as normal (Pre Viper install)?
Yes, all normal functionality of the system remains the same, so while the car is NOT remote started you can still just walk up to the car, press on the pad on the door and unlock and open it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyons4life View Post
Now the tough part. Would there be anyone of your caliber (Yes sucking up) on the East Coast that could complete the installation? Are there extra items needed to complete the installtion? I would love to discuss the additional details, but many are probably well left in the hands of the professionals doing the installation. How do you get around the need for an XLR FOB in the car to start?
We'll be providing all of our authorized dealers with support on making this installation happen. Other parts required for the install are going to be some relays (about 8), an 1101T module, and an extra remote. We were able to pick up a used extra remote ourselves on ebay for $15 shipped. We are working on a solution that doesn't involve using an extra remote, but at this time it's doable with one and average prices for extra remotes ran about $20-$60 and up to two extra remotes can be programmed in. As we demonstrated there will be a remote hidden inside the car, but only powered up at the right times so that it doesn't compromise the vehicle's factory security.

Feel free to let us know if you have any other questions/concerns.
SnakePit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:20 AM   #8
TexasSpeed

Wow, very helpful discussion for me. I just bought a Viper 5901 responder (I think that's it) for $200 which was way cheaper than Best Buy's $500 installed. I'm still trying to work out how they charge a normal installation fee for alarms of about $100, and you can get the alarm online for $200. $100 + $200 ≠ $500. Ha ha, anyway. From what I hear everything you really need comes in the box and I am going to try a self install on my Chevy. We'll see how it goes.
TexasSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement