glass windrestrictor Vs OEM mesh screen? wich is best? - Cadillac XLR Forum: XLR and XLR-V Forums
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Cadillac XLR Forum: XLR and XLR-V Forums > XLR Discussion > Cadillac XLR General Discussion

XlrForum.com is the premier Cadillac XLR Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Which Wind Restrictor Is Best
Windrestrictor 42 80.77%
GM/Cadillac Mesh 10 19.23%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-11-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
Q8KNIGHT
XLR Pit Crew

Glass Windrestrictor vs OEM Mesh Screen? Which Is Best?

what do u think
Q8KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2008, 07:12 PM   #2
jamsto
XLR Pit Crew

We had a good look at the mesh windscreen when they introduced it last year at the XLR Rendezvous in Bowling Green. At that time people got the opportunity to try it out on their car before purchase. I believe the msrp was about $650.

It reminded me of the mesh style which I had on my Mercedes SL. I was not a big fan of the mesh because, for me, it appeared to cut visiblity at night, trying to see through the mesh net.

I had a plexiglass windscreen and the problem that many people encountered was reflection from lights.

We purchased the new Windrestrictor models and are very happy. Their design puts the glass at a slight angle, so there is no light reflection. It does cut wind and makes it easier to wear a hat when driving. We got the lighted feature and there is great joy in driving at night with the windscreen lit up, and getting brighter when you hit the brakes. It is also great at evening cruise nights when you can turn on the light while parked.

Just my two cents and personal opinion.
jamsto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
Kahuna
XLR Pit Crew

I also got the Windrstricter and opted to go without any etching or lighting. This way it looks very clean and 'factory.' At highway speeds with the top down and door windows up it is very similar to a coupe with the sunroof open - almost no wind and easy to talk with passenger.
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:29 AM   #4
rufcar
XLR Pit Crew

wind

Hi Guys, I am still here and alive and well just busy saving the company if you know what I mean. I too recently purchased the WR in plain plexi. I like it but I have this need to always make things better. My 2 cents is if it was about 1" higher and about 1-2" longer on each side it would even be a ton better especially on both sides. There is room to do both and the cost factor wouldn't be more than a few dollars. I also thought the 4 screws could have been a bit deeper cut for the allen. If the allen key fit better than the removal of the WR would be a whole lot easier. The product and packaging was 1st class just my opinion on how to improve it. Hope everone is well, especially you Bobbie!! Jim F
rufcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:40 PM   #5
popbigguy
XLR Pit Crew

Anybody got the part number for the OEM mesh screens that they showed us at RII?

Chad
popbigguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:49 PM   #6
Windrestrictor
Supporting Vendor

thanks for the feedback. I would be hesitant to produce anything larger for fear of loss of aesthetic value. The powder coating effected the ease of the allen screw/key combo but I've done several and it works just fine. Again, thanks for your feedback.
Windrestrictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:53 PM   #7
Windrestrictor
Supporting Vendor

wrg. number

Last edited by Windrestrictor; 08-14-2008 at 03:01 PM.
Windrestrictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:39 AM   #8
Sli1

The Number is: 19153868 and the price was quoted $625.

I like the idea of a windscreen/deflector, or should I say my wife likes the idea. Price counts, but I am more interested in which model cuts the wind the best. Question to anyone that has purchased the GM windscreen, did you notice a significant reduction in wind, or just a moderate reduction (less than 50%). Does the screen cause significant interference with your view through the rear view mirror, or only minor interference? I would be grateful for any feedback from someone who has actually ridden top down in an XLR with the windscreen.
Thanks,
sli1
2008 XLR, platinum on ebony, mesh grill, chrome wheels, 920 miles (soon to have sway bar).
Sli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:12 PM   #9
XLR ROASTAA

Cool

Hello all,
I do have the GM mesh windscreen I took a long look at each option and decided on the mesh. I'm not going to tint the windows in the XLR because, in our owners manual it's not recommended. The mesh cuts more then 70% of wind speed meaning that you still have a slight air movement at freeway speeds, with no real noticeable changes at even higher speeds and also the interior is very quite at all speeds.. It works so well, that in city driving my fiancÚ and I have to roll the windows down or turn on the A/C on hotter days.. As far as visibility I have no issues it actually help cut the headlights of other car behind you, for me a added benefit. Last but not lease, it down right looks great just a elegant / beautiful addition to the wonderful lines of our cars..
Here are some phone pix's

XLR ROASTAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:56 PM   #10
monepit
XLR Pit Crew

I bought the windrestrictor and it is the best thing I bought for the car. Cuts wind about 70%. Looks factory and the lighting is a must. It is the coolest thing on the car. I got a Cadillac emblem in the center and it also looks great and factory. I get more comments on it than you could imagine. Highly recommended.
monepit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:09 PM   #11
Sli1

Quote:
Originally Posted by monepit View Post
I bought the windrestrictor and it is the best thing I bought for the car. Cuts wind about 70%. Looks factory and the lighting is a must. It is the coolest thing on the car. I got a Cadillac emblem in the center and it also looks great and factory. I get more comments on it than you could imagine. Highly recommended.
Moneypit,
Thank you for the review. That is exactly what I wanted to know! I am sure that the Windrestrictor is also a great product (and less expensive), but in this case I prefer to go with the GM product.
Sli1
Old 06-17-2009, 10:30 PM   #12
Growler

Cool

This is a great forum! I am in the process of deciding what type wind screen to purchase for a 2008 Alpine White XLR. Nothing beats first hand user information! I am also inclined to stay with stock GM Cadillac parts. I know that is boring, but I am old. Thanks to all.
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:11 AM   #13
cadxlr-v

What I don't understand is how a mesh restrictor can cost 600+ and a piece of plastic with a small piece of wood attached to it cost 400+. I'm guessing the profit margins must be like 1000%.
cadxlr-v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:04 AM   #14
Sli1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadxlr-v View Post
What I don't understand is how a mesh restrictor can cost 600+ and a piece of plastic with a small piece of wood attached to it cost 400+. I'm guessing the profit margins must be like 1000%.

I think the Windrestrictor at $400 is a better bargain than the OEM mesh windscreen, but it sounds like both work. (GM often sells the car near cost and makes up for it in maintenance and parts.) For now, I will pay a little extra and try GM's recommendation. I may also get a Windrestrictor at some point in the future. When averaged over the life of the car, it is not that much money to buy both, but for now I will try the mesh.

Thanks again Monepit for the pics.

Sli1
Old 06-19-2009, 10:46 AM   #15
captam

Mesh Windrestrictor

I have tried both factory type mesh and the plexiglass type. Can't tell much difference between the two. I like the looks of the plexiglass a little better. So, I have a the factory type for sale ... cost me about $650, will sell for $400. Used it maybe three or four times with top down.
Captam 256-313-8735
captam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement