Dead Battery...help?? - Cadillac XLR Forum: XLR and XLR-V Forums
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Cadillac XLR Forum: XLR and XLR-V Forums > XLR Discussion > Cadillac XLR Technical Discussion > Electrical, Battery, Alternator and Wiring

XlrForum.com is the premier Cadillac XLR Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:15 PM   #1
k9husker

Dead Battery...help??

I was gone on vacation for 2 weeks and went to start the 08 XLR-V and no battery, doors will not open, can't get into the trunk. I have no way to get into the car to pop the hook and put a charger on the car. Called Cadillac roadside assist, they came out and said they can't do anything either. On star needs a battery to unlock the car as well. What the hell do i do now???
Randy
k9husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2008, 01:22 PM   #2
XLR_Lover
XLR Pit Crew

Got a brick????

Floyd
XLR_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
gambling man
XLR Pit Crew

I would think that roadside assistance could get a "fishing line" in through the window and pull up the manual door release. Just put a loop end on it and try not to scratch your window.
gambling man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 03:33 PM   #4
cadillac tech

I take it you don't have your key. You can have one cut, but you may not be able to get one until Monday. If you have the key, insert it in the lock cylinder in the rear bumper facia and turn it to open the trunk. From there you can pull the cable to open the drivers door.

Bruce
cadillac tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:02 PM   #5
Pegasus
XLR Pit Crew

Emergency Key

This car has battery problems. I just had to have mine replaced on my '06V and there have been numerous posts about this issue on the forum.

Two bits of advice for you to help from being locked out of your car:

1. Store the emergency key (that flat metal thing in the black vinyl case that came with your owner's manual) somewhere other than in the glovebox of the car. I keep mine in the house so at least I, or someone else, can get to it if I have problems getting into the car. Also, read the owner's manual so you know how to open the trunk using that key.

2. When storing the car for any period of time release the hood so that it pops open to the first release level. That way you can at least access the battery if you have to jump start the car or replace the battery. By only opening it to the first release level you won't have your hood fly off if you forget to fully close it before driving the car.

Hope this helps. As the original posting points out, you never know when you're going to have a problem.
Pegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:35 PM   #6
SilverX
XLR Pit Crew

Cool

Did you leave your key in the car???????? Don't do that again.

If you have the back-up key follow the procedure spelled out by Cadillac Tech above and you'll be fine.

Thanks Pegasus, I like the idea of leaving the hood released to the first latch.
Another good practice is to hook up your car to a battery tender. They are about $50 and they keep your battery ready to go without charging it too much. I have been using battery tenders for years on all kinds of cars and motorcycles.

SilverX

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9husker View Post
I was gone on vacation for 2 weeks and went to start the 08 XLR-V and no battery, doors will not open, can't get into the trunk. I have no way to get into the car to pop the hook and put a charger on the car. Called Cadillac roadside assist, they came out and said they can't do anything either. On star needs a battery to unlock the car as well. What the hell do i do now???
Randy

Last edited by SilverX; 04-27-2008 at 03:08 PM.
SilverX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:48 PM   #7
Kahuna
XLR Pit Crew

Another good tip I received from Mr XLR is to leave the drivers window down if you keep your car in your garage. This way you can access both the door and hood release if you have a battery problem. Better still, leave the top down! Remember, these cars always have electronic systems on that are putting a constant drain on the battery, even when they are parked! This is not your fathers VW!
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:37 PM   #8
popbigguy
XLR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverX View Post
Another good practice is to hook up your car to a battery tenderizer. I have been using battery tenderizers for years on all kinds of cars and motorcycles.[/B]

SilverX
Tenderizer,,,,,,,,, that's good,, I like that. Our cars are like a piece of meat!

K9, You got a Caddy dealer there in GI that you go to that you can get a key from?

Chad
popbigguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:40 PM   #9
popbigguy
XLR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
Another good tip I received from Mr XLR is to leave the drivers window down if you keep your car in your garage. This way you can access both the door and hood release if you have a battery problem. Better still, leave the top down! Remember, these cars always have electronic systems on that are putting a constant drain on the battery, even when they are parked! This is not your fathers VW!
WOW!!!! Even in my garage!!! If I left the window down,,,,, the inside of the car would be SOOOOO dusty and dirty!!!! Let alone leave the top down!

Chad
Old 04-27-2008, 12:38 AM   #10
Lola's mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by popbigguy View Post
WOW!!!! Even in my garage!!! If I left the window down,,,,, the inside of the car would be SOOOOO dusty and dirty!!!! Let alone leave the top down!

Chad
Oh ... I thought they were just kidding!

I would never leave my top down in the garage!

RA

Last edited by Lola's mom; 04-27-2008 at 01:07 AM. Reason: .
Lola's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:40 AM   #11
mswaim

Sorry to be the voice of doom, but am I the only one who thinks it's a bit ridiculous to buy Cadillac's flagship, the almighty halo car, spend a ton of money - but be forced to either roll down a window, pop the hood, or leave the top down just in case the battery goes dead? How stupid is that? I would agree; it's not dad's VW - it's not even in the same league as it relates to dependable operation. This problem has existed since day one, with no apparent concern on Cadillac's behalf.

BTW - I thought the 08's had the key integrated into the fob? Are both fobs locked in the vehicle? Our 07 came with two regular keys, so I am a bit puzzled how this could happen to an 08.

Last edited by mswaim; 04-27-2008 at 11:06 AM.
mswaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:56 AM   #12
Lola's mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswaim View Post
Sorry to be the voice of doom, but am I the only one who thinks it's a bit ridiculous to buy Cadillac's flagship, the almighty halo car, spend a ton of money - but be forced to either roll down a window, pop the hood, or leave the top down just in case the battery goes dead? How stupid is that? I would agree; it's not dad's VW - it's not even in the same league as it relates to dependable operation. This problem has existed since day one, with no apparent concern on Cadillac's behalf.

BTW - I thought the 08's had the key integrated into the fob? Are both fobs locked in the vehicle? Our 07 came with two regular keys, so I am a bit puzzled how this could happen to an 08.
Point!

The technology of the entry year XLR in 2004 (designed years before) was absolutely cutting-edge, and it is probably fair to say that the battery draining was the result of the uniqueness of the car AT THAT TIME. But, I agree, each year as technical advances were made, they should have been integrated into the car's modules.

Most all cars now have similar or the same or better features, and none of them seem to share the battery drain problem. It is amazing that these failings are not addressed in the software updates ..... I would think most of them are program driven.
Lola's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:08 PM   #13
popbigguy
XLR Pit Crew

I wonder why his battery died? During the winter here in wonderful Nebraska (same place as K9Husker). There are times when I have my V sit for weeks. I haven't had any problems. I can get the car out every once in a while during the winter when we're between snowstorms and there's no snow on the ground which is about once a month and I do try and make it a point to get it driven atleast once every month just to keep everything moved and lubed and I do lower and raise the top to keep system from drying out, the seals. I don't even keep the battery tender on the car, unless,,,, I know that it's been atleast 3 weeks since I've driven it. I guess I've just had good luck with the car!

Chad
Old 04-27-2008, 12:20 PM   #14
mswaim

I find it very disappointing that in 2008, with Cadillac preparing to unveil it's 2009 XLR - another member is facing the same battery drainage issue that has haunted the car since the beginning.

I realize there are places in the country where battery tenders may be required, but most modern batteries can withstand quite a period of time without worry; certainly more than two weeks!
mswaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:56 AM   #15
STARBLACK225
XLR Pit Crew

on an '08 the key is in the FOB.
STARBLACK225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement