Cadillac XLR Forum banner

Gas Door Latch Won't Stay Closed

10K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  xlrlist01 
#1 ·
I filled up my 2005 XLR with gas last night and the check engine light came on this AM which prompted me to open the gas door. Now the gas door won't close. I think the latch is broken. A quick fix was to put clear masking tape over it but I refuse to ride in an XLR with tape on it! Is this an easy fix or will I need to have it serviced by Cadillac? I haven't had the car for a full month yet and this will be the third visit to Cadillac dealership - air bag light; svc tire monitor message; window stripping/bracket repair on right side window.

#2 · (Edited)
Is it broken or has the latch stuck in the open position? If you open the trunk there is a manual release cord, try manipulating that. Maybe a shot of lubricant on the latch will do the trick? The latch is a shaft inside a tube and maybe it needs a tiny bit of light-weight lube, hopefully.

Don't use a silicon based lube near gas, silicone is death to O2 sensors.

#4 · (Edited)
Mine did this and would eventually comes back out (plunger that latches the door) after driving.

In any case it is a solenoid that needs replacing. Mine was replace 6 months ago under GMPP warranty.

It is a nuisance, but got worse over time.
I have just fixed this. It requires lubricating the solenoid.

Outline:
Remove driver's side rear wheel.
Remove wheelhouse liner (a large number of screws ~11 and two stud retainers)
Remove trunk inner side trim (no need to remove carpet but you do need to remove the sill plate) disconnect the light, one T15 undoes the plastic trim on the divider bracket (there are no other catches, it pulls apart), disconnect switch cable, three retainers; work the two manual release handles through the fabric (mine was glued over).
Locate the solenoid, there is a single 10mm bolt holding it in place. It is hidden behind a bundle of hydraulic hoses. Standing outside your XLR, looking at the rear wheel, roughly it is at the 2 o'clock position.
Undo the latch from the filler, manipulate a section of the cable into the trunk. (Push it backwards)
I also disconnected the solenoid's electrical connector (from underneath).

That is the easy bit.

Now, move the solenoid rearwards. There is no room and the rubber sound deadening grips the solenoid in place. There is a small hook on the solenoid's fixing plate and this has to be pushed outwards at the same time as moving the unit rearwards. This is tricky.

Eventually, there is enough room to turn the unit upside down (rotate along its axis).

This reveals the design. There is a nylon tube with a figure-8 shaped nylon block running inside it. The solenoid pulls the top half and the manual release the bottom half.

I used a fine oil, putting a small amount onto a screwdriver blade so I dropped a controlled amount into the mechanism. Suddenly both the manual release and the return went easy and smooth, far better than it has ever been before. The gas filler door shuts more smoothly as well.

It was then a matter of reassembly, ensuring the right amount of cable was between the latch and where it goes inside the wheelhouse (into the trunk).

Removing the solenoid looks almost impossible hence lubricating the one already there.

Enjoy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.