Cadillac XLR Forum banner

Trunk

6K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  LEB05 
#1 ·
I have had really good luck with top operating properly, but now that its cold weather, the trunk isn't staying up when opened. Had the same problem with the hood last year and replaced the struts, has anyone had to replace the trunk lid struts, and is it as easy as the hood struts?

#2 ·
Your post doesn't indicate how long the rear decklid will stay in the raised position before it self-lowers.

The front struts aren't hydraulic; their pneumatic, and as you know, are held in place by clips. They're easily replaced in a few minutes.

The rear decklid hydraulic cylinders are hydraulic and as such, have supply and return lines. Inspect the rod seals for any hydraulic fluid leaks. Verify the hydraulic fluid level is between the two indicator lines on the reservoir on top of the hydraulic pump manifold in the trunk. A low level is a good indication of a leak in the hydraulic system.

If you replace them, it's a good idea to replace their O rings as well. If the rear decklid is going up and down as it should, your hydraulic cylinders are probably fine. I have always been able to lift or push my rear decklid shut.

It's always possible you could have a leaking solenoid valve, which are located on the hydraulic pump manifold. These are replaced as an assembly (not cheap).

Since you mentioned this problem occurs when it's cold, the hydraulic pump has a thermister that prevents it from operating in too cold or hot temperatures. A warning message should also be displayed on the DIC if this occurs.

If in doubt, I'd recommend having the system checked out by your dealer.

CC :seeya

#3 ·
Your concern is certainly understandable and it is appreciated if you're a DIY person. However, if you do decide to have it examined by a dealership, please let us know how it goes. If you send us a PM, please include your VIN#, name, situation, dealership name, and contact information. I hope all is well despite any car issues. Have a great holiday!

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

#4 ·
Thanks for all of the info, nut it appears is if this is simply a low tech fix, when I called the dealership parts dept., he immediately agreed with me it was simply the struts and that I could easily replace them myself, as he had experienced that problem before, I'll get them on this weekend at reply back.,

#5 ·
Here it is a month later, finally got the struts on today. Unless you are very mechanical, they aren't as easy as I thought. The task required help from a mechanic friend, and ratchet strap to compress them as they are too extended to fit on the way they come out of the package. Not much room to work, and patience required, Like I said in my previous post, the hood struts were a 5 minute job, but these were a pistol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.