Cadillac XLR Forum banner

Lowering the top half-way to condition weatherstrip

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  JAO 
#1 ·
Hello,

I'm not certain if this has been covered or not (my time to research it has been limited), but I recently purchased the GM weather-strip conditioner (OUCH on the price for such a small bottle).

I can only assume that this stuff works best if both sides of the weather-striping are conditioned. Of course the only way that I can think of that will allow me to do that is if I open the top about half way (by releasing the button in mid cycle) so the inside of the weather-stripping is exposed. My concern however is whether or not that will cause any issues such as confuse the computer or damage the pump.

I have read that the engine should be running when the top is used to avoid depleting the battery (that's a no brainer), but again, I am concerned about causing problems if I open the top half way, shut the engine down, condition the weather-stripping, start the car again and press the button so the top can complete the cycle. I'm not sure if that is a bad move or not...

Any advice or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

See less See more
#2 ·
Every 6 months or so I lower the top partway to allow easier cleaning of the inside of the rear window. To be honest, I don't bother starting the car either on the up or down cycle for that. If one or two top cycles are going to kill your battery, it's new battery time.

I'd do it differently up north in the dead of winter, but the differently part would be leaving the top up until it was warm out.

#3 ·
It's perfectly alright to open the top halfway for maintenance and cleaning. The Folding Top Control Module knows where it is in the cycle, so you can open or close it mid-cycle without a problem. It's always a good idea to keep the engine running whenever you move the top. It can drain a battery to the point where you can't start the car with just a few cycles.

Enjoy!

CC :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.