Cadillac XLR Forum banner

Buying new battery

8K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  FasterThanYou 
#1 ·
Battery replacement choices?

#6 ·
Check ride monitor

Check ride monitor. that is what it says. After new battery installed, it started. Next day it didn't start. It got rain water in passenger side floorboard a couple weeks ago. I was thinking some of the fuses might have gotten damp. I'm so worried.

#7 ·
How did the passenger side fuse panel get wet? Do you have a plugged drain from the windshield? The Body Control module is located there too.

As for your message, this is a new one. I've never heard of it, and it isn't listed in my Service manual or any of the Owner's manuals. I'd check the Suspension module for signs of water intrusion.

CC

#8 ·
So I read here & found water in compartment. Yes it was plugged. I never knew about this. Drained, ran a fan for 2 days to dry out. WD 40 on it. Now today it will only start with a jump even with new battery. Says "service ride control". "Do not exceed 80 mph".
I'm so worried. Now what?

#9 ·
I don't know why water was also in passenger side floorboard. Where is a windshield drain? That water was a couple months ago. It's confusing that I had water in two places. I believe from reading here, that the back right compartment being flooded messes with folding top & suspension. Do I order new modules from GM? I spent $2K last year at dealer getting new modules. Can't do that again.

#11 · (Edited)
Examine the bottom of the windshield garnish to find the drain holes. Also ensure your seal for the cabin air filter is intact. That's located right over the BCM on the passenger side on the firewall under the hood. Open the little door and inspect it.

The rear/rt. compartment is empty; it's the driver's side rear/lt. compartment you need to worry about.

If it was flooded, you probably lost (at least) the Suspension module. The messages you're seeing are a classic symptom. You can buy a new one online and install it yourself.

You may have drained the (new) battery through a submerged connector in the trunk compartment. Look for a high water mark in there. Once you get a battery charged, you want to start the car and try the top to see if you lost that module as well. You can replace it yourself, but it will require a dealer to program.

I wouldn't spray WD-40 anywhere near any electrical connectors either. Oil attracts dirt and dirt is the sworn enemy of electronics; especially connectors.

There are special cleaners designed for electrical contacts. WD-40 isn't one of them.

CC

#13 ·
It looks like you're posting multiple threads for the same problem, which can be confusing for members who might want to help. I would recommend staying with one thread.

Let's go back a little bit. Your car flooded in at least two places. Have you isolated where the leaking seals or cause is? It is pointless to continue if the root cause of a problem is not addressed.

Who is performing the troubleshooting/repairs?

Are you using a certified XLR-trained tech?

What symptoms does the car exhibit at the present time?

Is the vehicle garaged normally?

What part number do you need and why?

I can sympathize with your frustration since you've been having problems with the car for several months. Please list everything that's been done so I can try to wrap my brain around what's happening. I certainly don't want to recommend throwing parts at a problem.

CCC

#14 ·
Sharon Bond issue

Thanks!
Yes, I'll stick with this thread. You're right.
My car is at a Cadillac dealer, Bill Stanford, Talladega, Al. Don't know if XLR tech trained.
Yes, flooded in 2 areas. Modules in rear being replaced. I need part #10374786 which is not available. That's what I need help with.
All weather stripping being replaced.
Not garaged for last 4 years unfortunately.
Up to $2400 already. Without the Instrument Panel Harness part, I'm losing my car. Any help would be really be appreciated.
Sharon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.