Cadillac XLR Forum banner

Engine Locked up - Timing Chain?

11K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  ald42 
#1 ·
Well, after 152k the engine has died. Just lost all power with no bells and whistles, no codes, no smoke - nothing. Even though all maintenance has been performed by local (30607) Cadillac dealer (with XLR mechanic) - SXAPeel is dead. Diagnosis - timing chain broke. Now that this has happened - does the Forum think there is even a remote possibility that I can get the Regional Service Manager to consider replacing the engine of the (previous) Cadillac Flagship, the XLR? I here that she may be in the area soon - should I write her a letter before she arrives or request a face-to-face? ANY extra input will help as I formulate a letter. OR - should I just chalk it up to a very nice car with a dead engine. I'm wide open so no flaming here please.

#3 ·
Update!!

Yep - we still have the X - couldn't let her go! Now seeking to replace the engine with a new GM motor. Since GM Parts Online will price match, is there anyone here who knows of a new crate GM motor under 5k? Also, what else is best to be replaced when the motor is done? So far we are getting new shocks ($$$$$$$$$ - almost as much as the motor), both cats and the fuel sensors in the tank. ANY help on this would be greatly appreciated. Oh and yes, the local caddy dealer has a certified XLR mechanic (pretty kewl guy actually).

Lastly, does anyone have experience with having a dealer maintained X goind bad and then getting Cadillac Customer Service Team to cut a deal on repairs?

Thanks guys n gals and c-ya on the road!!!

#5 ·
Real sad to hear. I've seen complete brand new crate engines listed on eBay for 3,500. Would think that a engine builder could do a lot cheaper than 5k? Did it smash all the valves into the pistons? Good luck with your repairs
Have it bored out and do a lot of headwork/valves,etc. get ya some more hp.

#6 ·
Customer Service Never replied - oh well

Sent a letter to the Cadillac 'Customer Service Team' but never received an answer. Kinda disheartening but oh well, I gave it a shot. New engine is now on order - full price plus tax - OUCH! We even ordered a new hydraulic pump for the roof setup and hopefully that will alleviate the random top hesitation issues we were having before the Northstar engine went South!

If all goes well, the X will be back on the road soon.

Not too sure if Customer Service will ever reply to our inquiry about their previous Flagship XLR and our issues. If anyone knows a great way of dropping them an email - we'd (I'd) greatly appreciate it.

C-ya back on the road this spring!

#7 ·
Well - the engine and tranny are dropped and the car in lifted!!!

Yep - my local (zip 30601) Certified XLR Mechanic has the engine and tranny - heck EVERYTHING out of the XLR! The shell is lifted and WOW - it is awesome to see! We are trying to do this one time and everything we can do - we are doing. Shocks, fuel sending/sensors, radiator, fluid lines, hoses, etc etc etc.

I need further Forum assistance though. Is there ANYTHING else I should be doing while I am doing the engine change? I am currently thinking about doing the bushings as well.

ANY thoughts/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!

(Also - YES! The Cadillac Customer Service Team DID finally contact us! Not sure if anything will come of it but, hey they did sound concerned at least. If they offer to pay the install - that would be kinda good. I hear they may just offer a discount on a new Caddy; that'll be ok too. Wife wants a SRX anyway.)

Thanks Guys and Gals!!!

#8 · (Edited)
Yep - my local (zip 30601) Certified XLR Mechanic has the engine and tranny - heck EVERYTHING out of the XLR! The shell is lifted and WOW - it is awesome to see! We are trying to do this one time and everything we can do - we are doing. Shocks, fuel sending/sensors, radiator, fluid lines, hoses, etc etc etc.

I need further Forum assistance though. Is there ANYTHING else I should be doing while I am doing the engine change? I am currently thinking about doing the bushings as well.

ANY thoughts/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!

(Also - YES! The Cadillac Customer Service Team DID finally contact us! Not sure if anything will come of it but, hey they did sound concerned at least. If they offer to pay the install - that would be kinda good. I hear they may just offer a discount on a new Caddy; that'll be ok too. Wife wants a SRX anyway.)

Thanks Guys and Gals!!!
thanks for the updates,keep us informed,check the ball joints & tie rod ends. also if you can, tell us what caused the lockup?? later, Al

#10 ·
YES! My all means Miguelrvzia - come on out to Athens Ga and check out the work. My mechanic loves the car and is really doing a superb job. He has videos and pic of most all that has been done. Complete assy is still out with the completion being this weekend. Shocks, tie rods, cables, radiator, battery cable and a few more items are being replaced as well. My dealer is Heyward Allen and we are about 60 miles East of Atlanta. I am keeping the original engine and it will be a (EXPENSIVE) coffee table in the future. If you can't make it this week, I will be saving all the pictures and videos.

#11 ·
UPDATE!!!! Cadillac Customer Service has replied to my concerns. Not sure at all what will happen but, at the very least they did call and seemed a bit concerned. Even if it was only a reimbursement for the cost of the engine (or pay for the installation) would be GREAT! Because of the call, spouse is considering trading in the Bimmer 5 for a Cadillac SRX (can't pickup too many in an XLR)!!! More to follow

#13 ·
Site Visit

I took up the opportunity to visit the rebuild engine replacement in Athens Georgia. The cadillac xlr certified technician (JJ) exemplified expert knowledge and a genuine love for the XLR. Replacing an engine appears to be very complicated and requires an enormous amount patience. JJ had a series of video clips showing the process. I asked him what was his biggest challenge on the project? His biggest challenge was getting over the fear of getting started. Summary: I met an honest Certified XLR Technician and got to exchange XLR Stories with the owners of the XLR being rebuilt (all whom I plan to build a relationship with). Thank you SXAPeel!

#15 · (Edited)
Still awaiting a call from GM 'Customer Service "Team"'

Oh well, the XLR after a complete engine replacement, is now BACK in the shop for a probable ECM replacement now. Kind of ironic that the $1k replacement of the ECM is only a part of a troubleshooting tree but, JJ and the service manager state it is the only way to go. Still awaiting a return call from GM 'Customer Care' team though. They kind of got silent once they saw we were paying for all the repairs - not too good of a customer service huh?! Oh well, hopefully a call after this post. Jerrard in the GM CST dept seemed very amicable to my XLR issues but then - - nothing. More to follow - possibly.:rolleyes

#16 ·
Oh well, the XLR after a complete engine replacement, is now BACK in the shop for a probable ECM replacement now. Kind of ironic that the $1k replacement of the ECM is only a part of a troubleshooting tree but, JJ and the service manager state it is the only way to go. Still awaiting a return call from GM 'Customer Care' team though. They kind of got silent once they saw we were paying for all the repairs - not too good of a customer service huh?! Oh well, hopefully a call after this post. Jerrard in the GM CST dept seemed very amicable to my XLR issues but then - - nothing. More to follow - possibly.:rolleyes
Hi,good to hear you're almost there,you'll be driving her in no time. thanks for keeping us updated. good luck.Al

#17 ·
UPDATE!!! Well after the engine change AND the ECM change - - the X is STILL Popping codes! This time they say its the throttle body! I had the service manager check the engine they put in and the engine was a 19178925 VIN 'Y' LH2. Being that my car is an 8th position "A" (2004) is this the issue? Is there a difference in a 'Y' versus an 'A' engine? I know we had issues with the cam settings on the new engine upon install (they used the ones from the old motor because the engine popped four separate codes due to timing). I also know the X is a costly car but I think we are now paying for trouble-shooting AND I think the engine being a 'Y' instead of an 'A' may be the reason. HELP!!!! Cadillac CST - are you out there listening!!!???

#18 ·
Questioning Attitude

It is good to continue to pursue the truth with a questioning attitude. I noticed during the visit, that a brand new throttle body was sitting on the garage floor. JJ said it was because the newer engine installed required some of the components from the old engine, therefore the story of all the new parts left over. I did not find that unusual at the time, but worth investigating. I continue to drive with the top down and enjoying my XLR. Hope you get all things squared up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.