Cadillac XLR Forum banner

Which Wind Restrictor Is Best

• Windrestrictor

Votes: 45 78.9%
  • GM/Cadillac Mesh

Votes: 12 21.1%

glass windrestrictor Vs OEM mesh screen? wich is best?

1M views 75 replies 34 participants last post by  14792 
#1 ·
Glass Windrestrictor vs OEM Mesh Screen? Which Is Best?

what do u think

#2 ·
We had a good look at the mesh windscreen when they introduced it last year at the XLR Rendezvous in Bowling Green. At that time people got the opportunity to try it out on their car before purchase. I believe the msrp was about $650.

It reminded me of the mesh style which I had on my Mercedes SL. I was not a big fan of the mesh because, for me, it appeared to cut visiblity at night, trying to see through the mesh net.

I had a plexiglass windscreen and the problem that many people encountered was reflection from lights.

We purchased the new Windrestrictor models and are very happy. Their design puts the glass at a slight angle, so there is no light reflection. It does cut wind and makes it easier to wear a hat when driving. We got the lighted feature and there is great joy in driving at night with the windscreen lit up, and getting brighter when you hit the brakes. It is also great at evening cruise nights when you can turn on the light while parked.

Just my two cents and personal opinion.

#3 ·
I also got the Windrstricter and opted to go without any etching or lighting. This way it looks very clean and 'factory.' At highway speeds with the top down and door windows up it is very similar to a coupe with the sunroof open - almost no wind and easy to talk with passenger.

#4 ·
wind

Hi Guys, I am still here and alive and well just busy saving the company if you know what I mean. I too recently purchased the WR in plain plexi. I like it but I have this need to always make things better. My 2 cents is if it was about 1" higher and about 1-2" longer on each side it would even be a ton better especially on both sides. There is room to do both and the cost factor wouldn't be more than a few dollars. I also thought the 4 screws could have been a bit deeper cut for the allen. If the allen key fit better than the removal of the WR would be a whole lot easier. The product and packaging was 1st class just my opinion on how to improve it. Hope everone is well, especially you Bobbie!! Jim F

#6 ·
thanks for the feedback. I would be hesitant to produce anything larger for fear of loss of aesthetic value. The powder coating effected the ease of the allen screw/key combo but I've done several and it works just fine. Again, thanks for your feedback. :)

#8 ·
The Number is: 19153868 and the price was quoted $625.

I like the idea of a windscreen/deflector, or should I say my wife likes the idea. Price counts, but I am more interested in which model cuts the wind the best. Question to anyone that has purchased the GM windscreen, did you notice a significant reduction in wind, or just a moderate reduction (less than 50%). Does the screen cause significant interference with your view through the rear view mirror, or only minor interference? I would be grateful for any feedback from someone who has actually ridden top down in an XLR with the windscreen.
Thanks,
sli1
2008 XLR, platinum on ebony, mesh grill, chrome wheels, 920 miles (soon to have sway bar).

#9 ·
Hello all,
I do have the GM mesh windscreen I took a long look at each option and decided on the mesh. I'm not going to tint the windows in the XLR because, in our owners manual it's not recommended. The mesh cuts more then 70% of wind speed meaning that you still have a slight air movement at freeway speeds, with no real noticeable changes at even higher speeds and also the interior is very quite at all speeds.. It works so well, that in city driving my fiancé and I have to roll the windows down or turn on the A/C on hotter days.. As far as visibility I have no issues it actually help cut the headlights of other car behind you, for me a added benefit. Last but not lease, it down right looks great just a elegant / beautiful addition to the wonderful lines of our cars..
Here are some phone pix's

#10 ·
I bought the windrestrictor and it is the best thing I bought for the car. Cuts wind about 70%. Looks factory and the lighting is a must. It is the coolest thing on the car. I got a Cadillac emblem in the center and it also looks great and factory. I get more comments on it than you could imagine. Highly recommended.

#12 ·
This is a great forum! I am in the process of deciding what type wind screen to purchase for a 2008 Alpine White XLR. Nothing beats first hand user information! I am also inclined to stay with stock GM Cadillac parts. I know that is boring, but I am old. Thanks to all.

#14 ·
I think the Windrestrictor at $400 is a better bargain than the OEM mesh windscreen, but it sounds like both work. (GM often sells the car near cost and makes up for it in maintenance and parts.) For now, I will pay a little extra and try GM's recommendation. I may also get a Windrestrictor at some point in the future. When averaged over the life of the car, it is not that much money to buy both, but for now I will try the mesh.

Thanks again Monepit for the pics.

Sli1

#15 ·
Mesh Windrestrictor

I have tried both factory type mesh and the plexiglass type. Can't tell much difference between the two. I like the looks of the plexiglass a little better. So, I have a the factory type for sale ... cost me about $650, will sell for $400. Used it maybe three or four times with top down.
Captam 256-313-8735

#17 ·
Feedback

Feedback on Windscreen -

So I bought the Cadillac windscreen. The good - it does a very good job of cutting the wind that previously hit me from behind and blew my hair forward. Cuts almost all of the back draft. On the expressway, with the windows down, there is still quite a bit of wind from the sides. With windows up, just a whiff along the top of my head. I have not noticed any sagging in the screen as reported by Bill, but the screen is still new so time will tell.

The bad - I can see through the screen fine during the day, but at night it makes it hard to see through the back window to back up. Since the Windrestrictor (that is the competitive product that is a sponsor of this site) is not very expensive (without the light and laser etching), I think I will order a Windrestrictor as well for comparison. My only concern with the Windrestrictor is I read somewhere else that the solid screens channels a small amount of back draft off of the restrictor against the back of your head. (I do not know that to be true, just what I read.)

sli1

#21 ·
Hello All! This is Ashli from WR. I just wanted to throw in this like to another thread which is letting everyone know that we are now officially licensed by General Motors... really exciting news for all of us!

I noticed GM was a hot topic here so it may be of interest to some of you :cheers

Take Care!

-Ashli

CLICK HERE >>>> http://www.xlrforum.com/showthread.php?t=6065&highlight=windrestrictor

#27 ·
More feedback - I find the windscreen very annoying at night when I try to see through the back window. Otherwise it works very well. If I had it to do over, I think I would choose the WindRestrictor with a small or no etching.
I would agree - I have the WindRestrictor without etching or lighting and like it very much. There is still a little problem with reflection - particularly at night - but you adjust to it. With the top down and windows up it is very similar to a closed car with an open sunroof, but without buffeting.

#28 · (Edited)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZQJGFArqAg

Here is a video we made highlighting some of the features. If the video does not show up here's a list of the features.

* 3/8 " Abraision Resistant Acrylic Glass precision cut to follow the bodyline of the roadsters rear panel. Beveled edge.

* Powder coated, (protective finished) aluminum roll bar brackets to match the factory leather. Allen screws.

* Hand crafted, wooden center bracket wrapped in the same factory leather as your roll bars. This bracket also follows the curve on the rear panel.

* Laser engraved Cadillac graphics or personalized graphics for a personalized touch.

* LED illumination system provides product with a very unique glow that can be wired into your running lights or brake lights. Battery pack or 12V adapter plug available.

Preferred15 will take $60.00 off of your order through the end of July! :seeya

This is for ALL standard orders. Also, add custom laser etched graphics for only 52.50. Contact us at Sales@windrestrictor.com for more info on this.

Have a great weekend everyone!!!

Stephen

#29 ·
Just got mine this weekend

I was investigating and got hooked up with a guy that made them for other cars but not the XLR. He worked with me and produced a design I liked. It requires no screws, no two face tape, no physical attaching to the car at all. It can easily be installed and removed with no tools, and can be left in place when the roof is put up. It is not etched, i prefer the clear view in my mirror, and is slightly angled to help prevent glare. I'm not sure when he'll be providing them as a production item, but he is easily contacted through his website www.jaysenoffwindscreens.com

Not sure if the following picture is inserted correctly, if not email me at majik755@cox.net and I send a pic
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Mirror Window

#30 ·
It certainly looks nice. However, isn't it on the wrong side of the roll bars? The other wind restrictor which was made of clear plastic that I purchased a couple of years ago was made to go on the other side of the roll bars and when I questioned that the manufacturer said that there is actually more pressure coming from behind -- over the trunk -- so for greater stability the wind restrictor needs to be on that side of the roll bars.

#32 · (Edited)
I'm not seeing any stability at all on the above mentioned product. Normally we do not have an oppinion on competitors products but this is not a sponsor of the site and it looks pretty flimsy to me for sure. We've found that the very thin "plastic" screens have tons of vibration and buffeting at high speeds unlike our products that are very stable.

#33 · (Edited)
Windblox vs. mesh

I had a mesh windscreen on a 2002 SAAB 9-3 Turbo. It was a must have item on that car. The rear seats created a lot of wind turbulence. The XLR was as good as the SAAB without a windscreen. I recently got aa lexan smoke tintwindbloxx It was only $125. It was a much bigger improvement than I thought. it is Easy to remove e but we have not had a need to. Rearview vision is not affected much at all. It looks much better than I imaginedd. Smoke tint looks cool and may keep aa little sun off your back too! After this, I prefer the windblox over mesh,even without a price difference The price made it a no-brainer for m..

#34 ·
I wrote this review on another web site, but I though it worth repeating here.

I have both the Cadillac windscreen and the WindRestrictor. They are both excellent products.

Value - The WindRestrictor is the better value. I got a model without etching. I worried the etching might interfere when looking backwards. (I was tempted to get the Cadi logo as I think it really looks sharp.)

Wind protection - They both stop most of the wind. With the windows down, the Cadi windscreen stops more of the back draft that blows hair forward. With windows up they both stop most of the wind, but the windscreen still stops more wind.

Looks - I think the WindRestrictor is much better looking. It certainly looks better than any of its cheaper competitors that I have seen in person or in pictures. It is solid and thick, cut and polished, sits in a leather frame, and looks very professional. (I am surprised some people would buy an $80,000 car and worry about saving $100 by buying a flimsy windshield. Don't mean to judge, just find it odd.) The Cadi windscreen looks OK but it does not add anything to the car, at least not to me.

Packaging - The WindRestrictor has better packaging and extra touches including cleaner, cleaning towel, and gloves for installation to avoid hand prints, even though they would easily clean off.

Speed of install - The windscreen goes on and off in less than 5 minutes without tools. The WindRestrictor requires an wrench and takes about 5-10 minutes, plus you have to be careful not to scratch it. The windscreen has a storage container. I saved the shipping box to store the WindRestrictor.

Interference with vision - The windscreen interferes with my vision when looking backwards, especially at night. The WindRestrictor reflects light when it is darker behind the car than in front, somewhat annoying. I think they used a special plastic to help keep the reflection to a minimum. Overall, the WindRestrictor causes less interference than the windscreen.

Bottom line - You cannot go wrong with either. My wife likes the windscreen slightly better because it stops the back draft better; therefore, I like the windscreen better since I bought it for her.

#35 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.