Cadillac XLR Forum banner

Trunk problems

11K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Spanish_Emarati 
#1 ·
I have had a few problems with me TRUNK opening and closing.
Sometimes if I hit the button on my key fob to open the trunk it will NOT open. I can hear what I think is the lock being released but it will not start to raise. I have had the same problem using the button on the dash next to the gas cap button. It does not matter if the car is running or not...

I can ALWAYS open it if I use the button you use to lower the top. The windows go down and the Trunk opens.

Now I have also had a problem closing the trunk.
Sometimes I hit the button in the trunk to lower it and it will not move or make any noise...
If I get inside the car and use the button for the top it will always lower it...

I have taken it to the shop twice to see if they can fix it BUT it works fine for them..
I think the car KNOWS it is going to the shop and it fixes it's self..

Anyone had this happen to them??

Bruce have you seen this one???

motorboat

See less See more
G
#2 ·
:cheers Blaise, this is easy.................just keep the top down. It's a sensor problem, mine did this a few times on my 04, but can't remember how they fixed it. Should of been at BBB with us, boy we had some fun.
Bob
I have had a few problems with me TRUNK opening and closing.
Sometimes if I hit the button on my key fob to open the trunk it will NOT open. I can hear what I think is the lock being released but it will not start to raise. I have had the same problem using the button on the dash next to the gas cap button. It does not matter if the car is running or not...

I can ALWAYS open it if I use the button you use to lower the top. The windows go down and the Trunk opens.

Now I have also had a problem closing the trunk.
Sometimes I hit the button in the trunk to lower it and it will not move or make any noise...
If I get inside the car and use the button for the top it will always lower it...

I have taken it to the shop twice to see if they can fix it BUT it works fine for them..
I think the car KNOWS it is going to the shop and it fixes it's self..

Anyone had this happen to them??

Bruce have you seen this one???

motorboat

#3 ·
motorboat,

You may recall I had my XLR in the shop at Martin Cadillac the same time you were getting a new gas cap in BG. I had the exact problem you describe. We got our picture taken in front and the trunk would not open properly to get the top down. It had acted up a couple of times the weeks before BG, but finally just stopped working. Thank goodness I was at the Caddy dealership when it finally gave it up for good.

The service tech said it was corrected with a "sensor adjustment." They did the right thing because it hasn't acted up once since then. What sensor is was I do not know.

XLR KEN.

#4 ·
New software program for folding top module

Blaise, Have your service technician take a look at PIC4646A. I think this will take care of your problem. There is a new program available for the folding top module. This was released on 10/31/07. They should check the top position sensors (3) to insure that they haven't loosened up due to top use. It sounds like you may have one loose. Remember the top and or decklid won't operate if it doesn't know where the other one is at. I hope this helps ,

Bruce

#5 ·
Trunk closing problem

I have checked most of the threads on this and have not seen this specific issue listed. Sometimes my trunk will not close when the button on the lid is pushed, but clicking the trunk open button on my key FOB causes the latch (at the trunk) to click and then the button on the trunk lid will close the trunk. Will using the latest program correct this problem or is this a seperate issue?

#8 ·
I have checked most of the threads on this and have not seen this specific issue listed. Sometimes my trunk will not close when the button on the lid is pushed, but clicking the trunk open button on my key FOB causes the latch (at the trunk) to click and then the button on the trunk lid will close the trunk. Will using the latest program correct this problem or is this a seperate issue?
My trunk would intermittantly not respond to the button pushing. It was a sensor (since there are so many I don't know which one - nor did the dealer tell me). Once it was identified and replaced I have had no problems. It did take a while for the dealership to be able to replicate the error and identify the faulty switch, so I had to be patient until all the stars aligned and she actually acted up at the shop.

Best of luck.

#6 ·
Sensitive Sensors

Almost every reported problem on the trunk mechanism has been resolved by realigning or replacing sensors. I would suspect the same here.

There could be a sensor that is not detecting the full-open position that would allow the lid-button to function. The key fob would somehow communicate your intent through another command and reset the "faulty" sensor, therefore allowing closure.

As was mentioned at RII, the interaction of sensors and control commands can be somewhat a complicated pain. Not knowing all software upgrades imposed, a fix may exist, but that wouldn't correct a sensor function or alignment.

#7 ·
In my humble opinion, it is part of the same issue and should be resolved the same way. There is new software AND Switches and you may end up needing most of them.

Then the top and trunk get recalibrated to make things work right.

Go on in to the dealer and get it resolved. I promise it's not like going to the dentist.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.