Cadillac XLR Forum banner

Front turn signal lens?

14K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  jmoody66 
#1 ·
Just bought a 05 XLR both front interior turn signal lens on interior part of assebly look light brownish -yellow in color and looks like they got hot enough to melt and crack the platic lens on both sides any ideas what might have caused this and can the lights be taken apart and exchange just that lens?

#4 ·
Unless you have a unique situation with your DRL bezels, the problem isn't melting, it's called crazing, which is very different. It's purely cosmetic. If they were melting and creating a fire hazard, GM would have put out a recall like they did with the early headlamp sockets. There have been no reports of headlamps turning into crispy critters due to crazed DRL bezels. The early headlamps had orange bezels that reacted to the heat of the bulbs. The replacement lights use a more heat-tolerant, clear bezel material and have orange bulbs.

Funky-looking DRL bezels are a must-inspect item for anyone contemplating the purchase of an 04-06 XLR. Some dealers will replace them -even out of warranty. Your milage may vary. Replacement headlights are nearly a grand each, and require an adapter harness for each side since the new lamps have a different connector. None of this is news. It's been posted on the major XLR forums for years.

Caveat emptor.

CC :seeya

#5 ·
CamaroGuy -

Get with Brent above and get a case # established with Cadillac Customer Care. Mine is an early production '05 (Oct '04) and they are going to split parts and labor with me. They are $1200 retail now - each.

#6 ·
Granddaddy's Caddy 05 turn signal lens Update

Update about burnt looking lens on my 05 XLR!
Well guess what XLR friends I never expected this, took my car last Sat. to my local Caddy Dealer and they said they would check into it for me, well they never called back, so this morning I call them and and told me John was off today and ask what was the situation. I told him about the lens situation and then he ask for my information, i was thinking he would just have John call me back on Monday, than all of a sudden out of nowhere he says Mr Gouker from complementary of our local dearlership & Cadillac I will have John order them Monday morning and get with you to setup appointment when they come in. I was like WOW THAT AWESOME! Now I must admit I'm surprised But now I must wait see if they do as they say. In case your wondering about the nickname Granddaddy's Caddy just got it from my grand kids. What do you all think Stick and Stay or Kick it Away? : cheers

Dan the Caddy Man

#10 ·
Dealer's lastest offer 4-21-11

Dealer called Friday and said they checked into replacement cost and it would be $2900 including installations to me But his supervisor agreed to do the whole replacement for flat fee of $500.00. to keep me as Cadillac customer I thought it was a fair deal so there went ahead and order them. And will call me when there, in about 7-10 days, to setup and install appointment! I guess you must keep working with the dealers and Cadillac customer service and you may find a dealer that will work with you! :cheers

#11 ·
Dealer called Friday and said they checked into replacement cost and it would be $2900 including installations to me But his supervisor agreed to do the whole replacement for flat fee of $500.00. to keep me as Cadillac customer I thought it was a fair deal so there went ahead and order them. And will call me when there, in about 7-10 days, to setup and install appointment! I guess you must keep working with the dealers and Cadillac customer service and you may find a dealer that will work with you! :cheers
My dealer just did mine Friday - but they forgot to order the pigtails...those will be in Monday. You might "politely" ask them if they know about the need for the pigtail harness adapters (one each side) and ensure they order them as well...

#13 ·
I'm not pro GM

An obvious design flaw/ issue that GM won't acknowledge. I had to pay 800 for mine and they ate the rest...am I happy? Not at all because it was a design flaw....so I always spread the word about the experience.

#14 ·
Granddaddy's Caddy 05 turn signal lens Update

Went and picked up my xlr with new lens install they look excellent, total bill with tax was $530.00 I'm pleased it that!

#16 ·
We got an estimate for our 05 headlamps just the other day from our local dealer. The best they would do is $1000.00 for both. We might try another dealer. I wonder why the variance in deals from dealer to dealer? Could it be the mileage? Ours has 33K.

I turn on the fog lamps to save the DRLs but have trouble remembering to do so all of the time.

Dave

#17 ·
Profit?

Dave,
I believe it's the dealer. If they help you...GM only gives them so much per hour to fix and may or may not help with the cost of the item. Who know.... I had to wait for a CTS-V special promo event to happen and show up and start complaining in front of customers before they even agreed to help me. Pretty pathetic of GM to ignore this obvious design flaw and then expect the customer to fix it. The sad part is that the wife wants to buy that CTS-V coupe and I'm doing my best to convince her that the Audi is the way to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.