Rear Transverse Leaf Suspension - Cadillac XLR Forum: XLR and XLR-V Forums
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Cadillac XLR Forum: XLR and XLR-V Forums > XLR Discussion > Cadillac XLR General Discussion

XlrForum.com is the premier Cadillac XLR Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:00 PM   #1
FriarDDMC

Rear Transverse Leaf Suspension

I have a 2005 XLR. It has 30,000 on the clock and it's been fantastic. The only problem I've had 'till now has been a the occasional coolant overflow after a hard run which was fixed by replacing the fill tank cap.

Now, what seems to be a dropped rear suspension drivers side which suddenly went 1 inch lower than the passenger side rear. The rear now jumps and clunks around. I'm somewhat mechanically able so I jacked up the XLR and it would appear that the right side transverse spring has lost its rubber cushion. The adjuster bolt is still there but no rubber cushion.

I've searched for info on how to remove / replace the rear transverse spring, but there is very little to none info out there, what info there is looks liek it was drawn with Etch-A-Sketch. I've been told the rear suspension is the same as a C6 Corvette. Similar - yes, but not the same. The C6 appears to have an easier method for spring replacement and there are YouTube tutorials. What about the XLR then?

Does anyone have any info on 1) whether I am see correctly that a rubber spring cushion can pop, and 2) how to get the spring out?

Thanks, Pete
FriarDDMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
ccclarke
Administrator

Pete,

This may help with your parts ID issue:

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/Page_Pro...-001&SortKey=1

If you haven't already done so, inspect the transverse leaf spring for any signs of cracking. Verify the adjuster bolt is intact as well. If it has sheared, the ride height will be affected. The gap needs to be measured for later re-installation.

If you need to remove the spring to reinstall anything, the shop manual calls out a J 33432-A Transverse Spring Compressor (special tool.)

Spring removal is straightforward enough. One of the lower control arms will need to removed. New retaining bolts for the spring will need to be installed.

CC
ccclarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:46 AM   #3
PAKTech

Rear suspension - Replacement height adjustor?

New member here - recently purchased my CLR and have been doing some maintenance to get it in top shape.

I was upgrading the brakes and wanted to provide a little lift in the rear because I have a small tire rub with the oversize tires (275-35-20). All I wanted was to not rub every time I went over a speed bump. My theory was to remove the adjustors and install some large washers and reinstall the threaded adjustor to get that extra 3/4" of travel.

On the second (right side) I found a broken adjustor, similar to what was described above - it sheared right at the interface of the threaded bolt to the rubber/metal cushion. I found out that the dealers and GMPARTGIANT.com don't offer that part and that you have to purchase the entire spring assembly ($380 to $500).

Are there any other sources out there to buy just the adjustor, or am I stuck with the option of buying the entire spring assembly? I could build my own version of the part, but that would have it's own hassles and perils.

Any advise out there?
PAKTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
PAKTech

Correction - not CLR - XLR - in above post

Kan't spell...or type
Old 07-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
GizmoQ
XLR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAKTech View Post
Are there any other sources out there to buy just the adjustor, or am I stuck with the option of buying the entire spring assembly? I could build my own version of the part, but that would have it's own hassles and perils.

Any advise out there?
I just dropped a Z06 spring in the front of my V and bought HardBar Spring End kit for C5/C6/C6 Z06 for it. Works great so far and looks like they will last much longer than OEM. If you must have OEM, I picked up a pair in really good condition at Bloomington Gold I may consider selling if I don't need them to adjust my rear ride height this weekend.

Last edited by GizmoQ; 07-12-2013 at 11:43 AM.
GizmoQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
PAKTech

Rear adjustment spacers

Thanks GizmoQ!

I would be interested in buying one or both, if you don't need them.

I have come up with my own design as an alternative that will be better than OEM. I went to the Hardware store and picked up a high strength M14 bolt (90 mm = ~3.375"), with a bunch of large metal washers and rubber grommets to get the desired height. In addition, to take up the slack between the bolt diameter and the inner diameter of the washers (they don't make fender washers larger than 1/2" dia hole), I bought some nylon bushings that nearly fill the entire gap. I will epoxy them together into an assembly that matches the OEM design - plus the extra lift I was looking for. The only thing missing will be the hex at the end of the OEM bolt (which I plan to install a jamb nut on to secure).

If I use yours, I would add washers and rubber grommets to add the extra inch I was shooting for the the first place and reinstall.

If anyone is interested in the design I will be making, let me know and I will post pictures, or more details about how it works out. After all, its just a spacer with dampers attached to a bolt...

Paul
Old 08-05-2013, 08:52 PM   #7
jmoody66
XLR Pit Crew

Been there twice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarDDMC View Post
I have a 2005 XLR. It has 30,000 on the clock and it's been fantastic. The only problem I've had 'till now has been a the occasional coolant overflow after a hard run which was fixed by replacing the fill tank cap.

Now, what seems to be a dropped rear suspension drivers side which suddenly went 1 inch lower than the passenger side rear. The rear now jumps and clunks around. I'm somewhat mechanically able so I jacked up the XLR and it would appear that the right side transverse spring has lost its rubber cushion. The adjuster bolt is still there but no rubber cushion.

I've searched for info on how to remove / replace the rear transverse spring, but there is very little to none info out there, what info there is looks liek it was drawn with Etch-A-Sketch. I've been told the rear suspension is the same as a C6 Corvette. Similar - yes, but not the same. The C6 appears to have an easier method for spring replacement and there are YouTube tutorials. What about the XLR then?

Does anyone have any info on 1) whether I am see correctly that a rubber spring cushion can pop, and 2) how to get the spring out?

Thanks, Pete
Both of my bolts broke so I found that Lingenfelter has a replacement bolt with a special hardened epoxy looking end on it that fit right in. Cost 72.00 each side but the drawback is that it squeeks if you don't lube it so Im thinking maybe I need to get the car on a lift and polish up the inside area on the lower arm. Saved 800.00
05 Silver updated to 09 V front end with black stripe on hood, 20" wheels, silver tint. Coming soon: 3:42 diff, A6 with 4200 stall, tune, muffler mod, cat delete and air filters.
jmoody66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
PAKTech

Made my own and did apply grease for noise

I ended up making my own, for about $20 each. I also needed the lift in the back for wide tire clearance.

If anyone is interested, I can share the design and build. I took photos of the process and documented the procedure and materials needed.

Initially, they did squeak, with the friction on the lower arm, but a little axle grease applied under them made them ride smooth. Works like a champ...

Tried to attach a photo, but it is limited to 100 kb upload - can't figure out how to reduce.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement