Tire rotation FAIL - Cadillac XLR Forum: XLR and XLR-V Forums
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Cadillac XLR Forum: XLR and XLR-V Forums > XLR Discussion > Cadillac XLR Technical Discussion > Tires and Wheels (Rims)

XlrForum.com is the premier Cadillac XLR Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
AzGeo
XLR Pit Crew

Tire rotation FAIL

I have purchased a number of tires from my local Discount Tire store, but my last visit did not end up as a very positive one. As the techs tried to put my XLR up on the low rack to do the rotation, they did not first 'correctly place the riser blocks' and broke the mounting tab of my right front fender. So now my right front fender (at the door opening) has no lower mounting bolt/tab attachment. The store manager sent me to a local 'custom shop', and that shop told me that they "could fix it with three days of work". My questions are: what kind of material are the fenders made of ? Is there a 'factory fix' for this problem ? Can this kind of 'repair' be done and if so, how long will it last ? Let me preface my questions with the facts that I still own my (original owner) 1972 Vette and 1979 Crewcab Chevy dually. If I like them, I keep them. Thanks ! Sorry if this is in the wrong place, please move it if required.....

Last edited by AzGeo; 09-02-2012 at 10:58 PM. Reason: possable move
AzGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
wb6bbz
XLR Pit Crew

I had a similar situation with my local Discount Tire Store when they used a floor jack on my XLR and didn't use the "Jacking Puck" and cracked the left Rocker Panel in front of the left rear wheel.
I didn't notice it until a few days later when I was detailing the car and drove it back to the tire store and talked to them and they refused to do anything about it.
I will never deal with any of the Discount Tire Stores again!
CorsaExh
VolantCAIw/2e-RamElectric-Superchargers
9thFuelInj
385+CalcFlywheelHP
RearSwayBar
TrailerHitch
HBWindscreen&Spoiler
CurbAlert
wb6bbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
ccclarke
Administrator

I'd want my car returned to an as-built factory condition -the same way it was when you drove it into their store.

Unless you can determine that a body shop could perform the repairs better, I would get an estimate from a Cadillac dealership as to what it would take to do it right and present it to the tire shop for their concurrence.

Just my .02,

CC
ccclarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
AzGeo
XLR Pit Crew

Yes, I'm going to the local GM dealership body shop this week. I don't want the right front fender to be a different color/finish than the rest of the car, but I also don't want it to flap or fall off in the future.
AzGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #5
Griff
XLR Pit Crew

Tire rotation Fail

I ran over a curb with the driver side of my XLR. It broke the tab and broke the bolt off in the frame. I put it on a lift and about an inch in front the broken bolt I instaled a self taping screw. It holds the fender fine and can only be seen if it is up on a lift.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement