Resetting engine warning light - Cadillac XLR Forum: XLR and XLR-V Forums
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Cadillac XLR Forum: XLR and XLR-V Forums > XLR Discussion > Cadillac XLR Technical Discussion > Engine

XlrForum.com is the premier Cadillac XLR Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:54 PM   #1
SilverXLR2004
XLR Pit Crew

Exclamation Resetting engine warning light

Hello Everyone,

I am back after a long vacation in Munich, bringing with me some minor problems with my "stubborn" XLR. Four days ago, the engine light came on along with the check gas cap warning. I checked the gas cap and it was open indeed. I retightened it but the engine warning light refuses to clear itself after two fuel refills.
Is there any method to reset the engine light at home? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
SilverXLR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
mtrocket
XLR Pit Crew

As far as I know, you have take it in to a service shop that has an engine code reader. To read, diagnose, & clear the codes at the Cadillac dealer here in MT is around $100. Sounds to me like you may have something else going on in addition to the open gas cap; having the codes read will tell you this.
mtrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
Lola's mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverXLR2004 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I am back after a long vacation in Munich, bringing with me some minor problems with my "stubborn" XLR. Four days ago, the engine light came on along with the check gas cap warning. I checked the gas cap and it was open indeed. I retightened it but the engine warning light refuses to clear itself after two fuel refills.
Is there any method to reset the engine light at home? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
You probably need a NEW gas cap .... we did.

Lola's Mom
Lola's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:56 PM   #4
XLR I FL
Administrator

If you have tried everthing else and Bruce hasn't provided you with a solution then my recommendation is to use Bob aka standby's trick.....Disconnect the battery and see if it will go away. It may not if it has been "Stored" so it's just a guess n my part.

My understanding is that even if you fixed the problem you will see the code until a certain number of on/off cycles are completed unless you want the dealer to reset it for a fee.

Good Luck.
XLR I FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:21 PM   #5
Mr XLR
XLR Pit Crew

Location: Steve Foley XLR - Northbrook, Illinois(Allen.Kulbersh@Cadillac-XLR.com) - 847-849-2229
If there is no longer a problem, or it was a false code, after 24 cycles of the engine the warning code is deleted and the light would be eliminated.

A side note: Each time you depress the start button, it takes about 2 hours of engine running to recoup the power used to start the car. Please don't start and stop your engine, as you will drain your battery to a very low level.

www.CadillacXLR-V.com

Thanks
Allen
Mr XLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:12 AM   #6
mtrocket
XLR Pit Crew

WOW!!! I never realized it took sooooo much battery power to start the X... guess you learn something new everyday!!!
mtrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 03:09 AM   #7
SilverXLR2004
XLR Pit Crew

Thanks everybody for your helpful replies. I just passed by the dealership today and they told me that the engine was sending 3 codes; one of which was "excessive evaporation". at least that's what they called it. while the other two codes couldn't be identified (i've never heard of unidentifiable codes). Anyways, they cleared the codes, and while i was driving home, the check gas cap appeared on the DIC again but with no engine warning light this time. So, I ordered a new gas cap hoping that this will solve the problem. Let's see.

Last edited by SilverXLR2004; 09-20-2008 at 03:15 AM.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:30 PM   #8
standby

It will take care of the problem. 04's where noted for failing gas caps.
Bobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverXLR2004 View Post
Thanks everybody for your helpful replies. I just passed by the dealership today and they told me that the engine was sending 3 codes; one of which was "excessive evaporation". at least that's what they called it. while the other two codes couldn't be identified (i've never heard of unidentifiable codes). Anyways, they cleared the codes, and while i was driving home, the check gas cap appeared on the DIC again but with no engine warning light this time. So, I ordered a new gas cap hoping that this will solve the problem. Let's see.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:27 PM   #9
SilverXLR2004
XLR Pit Crew

Thanks again for all of your replies. I really appreciate that... As standby mentioned, the new gas cap took care of the problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by standby View Post
It will take care of the problem. 04's where noted for failing gas caps.
Bobo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement