Cadillac XLR Forum banner

locked out of my XLR!

17K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  carterchapman 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me how to get into my car?! My battery is dead, the car won't unlock even when I used the key and inserted into that little square in the back of the car. I am at a loss here.

#3 ·
More Battery Stories
Well I was minding my own business, sitting in my recliner watching the football game Sunday and all of a sudden I heard the 2008 XLR-V car alarm go off.

I thought that was odd since the car was in the garage with the door down. But in the past on occasion, I had shifted in my seat and set it off with the other keys in my pocket.

However, when I couldn't turn it off right away by resetting the button on the key FOB, I took a quick trip to the garage. I was able to witness firsthand the alarm sound get slower and slower and then the interior lights went on and faded off. The next step was the weird one---the doors locked and there was NO power whatsoever to the car.

So the doors were locked, the key Fob wouldn't work nor would the spare FOB and the trunk and hood were locked down. A real interesting problem..on a Sunday afternoon.

THE XLR ENTRY PROCESS WHEN THE CAR HAS NO POWER THAT MOST OF US SHOULD BE SURE WE ARE VERY FAMILIAR WITH.

1. On the left rear bumper down low there is a small square painted the same color as the bumper. It has a small a seam that runs around it.

2. Sit on the ground behind the car for ease of access.

3. Take your hard key out of it's slot in your key FOB 2007 through 2009 or locate the back up key for 2004 through 2006 models.

4. Take your fingernail and carefully locate the small gap at the bottom of the square.

5. Then gently insert the tip of your key in the slot and pry up the square to expose the hard key hole behind the bumper.

6. Carefully at first insert the key in the key hole and carefully and very slowly turn the key as far as it will go to the right. (Here's a place where some WD-40 should be applied for on-going preventive maintenance while you are in there).

7. Then manually (it's heavy since there is no motor assist and you are fighting the fluid in the trunk shocks) and slowly raise the trunk assembly as far open as you can while sitting and then stand up and raise it up as far as it it will go.

8. Locate a small access panel about 2" high and 4" long on the lower left side of the top storage area wall just behind the top and luggage separater panel and close to the bottom of the compartment. It tucks into the carpet at the bottom and folds upward.

9. Open it gently by folding it upward and you will see a small "T" handle.

10. Pull the "T" handle gently to the rear of the car (its attached to a cable that is attached to the door).

11. The drivers door will pop open.

12. You can then gain access and see if any lights are on whatsoever. In my case NOPE!!!

13. Locate the Hood opening lever on the left side of the dash.

14. Pull the lever and open the hood. Then go to the front of the car and located the hood safety latch, slide it open and raise the hood.

15. Look for the battery at the right rear (PASSENGER SIDE) of the engine compartment.

16. Attach your Battery Tender or Hot Shot after taking the necessary precautions. wait for quite awhile even over night.

17. When the car has enough charge, START THE CAR AND LEAVE IT RUNNING.

18. Re index your windows while the door are closed --a requirement. You CAN do this by pushing the up window button until the window is all the way up and holding it for 3-5 seconds. This is very important so that the windows "drop" when the door is opened to allow the glass not to hit the top when you close the door.

19. Close the door and put the window down with the car still running and in park of course.

18. Open and re close the trunk so that it is properly secured.

19. Carefully insert the bumper tab back into the bumper where it belongs.

20. Drive the car to the dealer or your favorite battery store and see if they will test the battery to see if it is worth saving or replace it while you are there.

21. I am told by the dealer that the alternator will keep the proper electrical current flowing while you are drivng the car to the shop even though the battery is lower than desired.

22. Enjoy the car again.

FWIW: In my case, I am not a big fan of rollback trucks, AAA Road Service or other companies that will come out and screw something up while they learn how to get into your car. So I am satisifed with not having the car for a brief period while it gets charged up for me to drive it to the dealer and get a new battery under warranty.

OH YEA as I write this I am now on step 16 enjoying my beer(s).

#5 ·
Glad I found this thread. The wife is out of town (with her Fob) and I go to open the door to drive the X car to work. No go. The red light stays on steady on top of the door and it won't open. I can hear the relays clicking inside the car. Put the emergency key in the bumper and the trunk opens normally (plenty of electric power).

So, somehow, out of the blue, my Fob has quit. I just put a new battery in the fob a month ago, so I put another new battery in it - no help. So it looks like my fob is definitely out. I'll wait for Sue to get home tomorrow and try hers. If I get in with that, I'll get my manual out and try to re-program mine...If hers won't work either, uh oh!

#6 ·
Carter: I had the same problem 2 weks ago. Turned out to be the touch pad on the door had failed. Since I had GMPP I didn't fool withit and went to Hennessy Cadillac and within 30 min had the car back fixed. Have you tried the passenger side door to see if it works? If not it could be the receiver for the door proxsimity signal. Touch pad not bad ,receiver many$$$. Doug J

#7 ·
Thanks Doug,

Mine is dead on both doors and the trunk. Sue got in late last night and she's off again, so I haven't been able to grab her fob and try it. I opened the trunk with the key (it came up normally - electrically), pulled the door open pull tab, the door opened with one horn beep, tried to start it, "NO FOB DETECTED" message. Put the fob in the glovebox slot and she started right up. I'm going through the "Learn FOB" process now. If that doesn't work, I may have a plain old "fob failure" - it has new batteries...

#9 ·
V Happy

Carter
Before you replace that Fob. If you look back threw the lock out problems some of us have cured the problem with simply replace the battery with medical grade batteries. Also what has helped was to clean the contacts in the Fob with a pencil eraser. I know this kept me from going to the dealer when I read a post CC Clark put in to do these two things. Good luck I hope this suggestion helps.
V Happy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.