Cadillac XLR Forum banner

Welcome New Members !!!!!

309K views 240 replies 125 participants last post by  steddydawg 
#1 ·
Welcome to the XLR Forum!!!

We hope you have very enjoyable and educational experiences during your visits to the XLR Forum Site.

Once you have read the XLR Forum Guiding Principles and Guidlines, you will be be approved to post your experieces and comments in any of the applicable sections.

If you experience any difficulty or have comments that you would like to pass on that will improve the forum, please contact one of the moderators below via Private Mail:

XLR I FL aka Jerry

Thanks again and Welcome Aboard!!!

#2 ·
Okay, from what I'm reading, as a new member I have to post here, so here goes. I'm a new member from the Los Angeles area. Former top fuel dragster mechanic (early 1970's) and former cop (mid to late 1970's), now a Television Network Supervisor (safer and better paying job), all around nice guy, single, looking for his other half (okay, too much information). <G>

#3 ·
Welcome to the XLR Forum!! We hope you will enjoy your time here.

I am hopeful that we have almost all of the information about your XLR that you need.

The members and dealers have been teriffic in letting us know about issues and their resolution.

BestWishes

Jerry

#11 ·
Thanks for the welcome!
I am in Lubbock, Tx, home of Texas Tech and Buddy Holly!
Seems they think it is a main bracket that is bent and had to special order it.
I talked w/customer service and they said this type problem has nver occured and seems to be due to puting top up in the wind or some other stress caused event.
Strange!
I appealed it to supervisor and received assurance that if another case comes up they would contact me about coverage. I do not expect a call.
The cost of the bracket ($475) and installation was $1K.
The Zone manager was in to visit, but made no suggestions or indication of coverage.
At any rate, all is working fine now and am enjoying ride.
Deedo

#12 ·
DEEDO1942:

You will need to escalate this issue.

The top realignment is a known problem as is the wing window not being aligned. Please read the postings in the top area.

If this is the dealer you bought the car from they should be willing to help you out.

See if the head of Cadillac Customer Service will talk with you about a resolution.

#15 ·
Good day, all. I am a newbie to the forum, obviously. I'm 27, single, no kids and a love of Cadillacs in general. I have personally owned a 1983 Coupe DeVille and currently own a 1994 Fleetwood Brougham. My father got me hooked on Cadillacs. He owned a 1978 Fleetwood D'Elegance and a 1982 ElDorado. I am currently looking at adding an XLR to my stable, just because they are gorgeous, and I want one. Lol. I will have a few questions I would like to ask, however, I wil start my own thread when I get approval from the Admins. Thanks for providing some info I was able to browse thru in the forum already. I look forward to communicating with you all.

#17 ·
Payback:

Welcome to the forum.
I think you will find answers to most all of your questions here.

If it isn't posted already the members more than likely have experienced it or tried it and will be more than happy to share their experiences with you.

Regards

#18 ·
Hi everyone,

I just joined this forum to learn more about buying a XLR sometime in the future. I have a 1990 Allante and really enjoy driving (and working on) it. I also have a 2005 STS which is the wife's car. I would like to add a XLR to the stable, but I am going to have to find out about one of those lifts so I can fit three cars in a two car garage!

Steven

#19 ·
Welcome to the XLR Forum. You aren't the only Allante owner here. So you will have several reasons to visit the site often.

There is a lot of information on the various XLR years from 2004 up to the 2009 models which are the last.

If you need any additional insite please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards

#21 ·
Just purchased 2004 XLR

Howdy, I've been reading your forum for a month or so. I purchased a 2004 XLR in Feb 2009 that was origionally built/shipped to dealer in late 2003 so It appears mine was one of the first ones off the line!

Now has 21,600 miles and appears to be in excellent condition. I have all the Cadillac maintenance records, etc.

Very impressive machine!

#22 ·
Spider48:

Welcome to the Forum!!

What is the color of your car?? Black was the first color produced.

Do you happen to know the serial number of your car?? It will help to determine when your car was produced. there is another way however the Cadillac site will be able to show you your Build Sheet.

Regards

#23 ·
Hi everyone! New member and XLR owner. I purchased a Crimson Pearl 2005 model a few weeks prior to this post.

I did quite a bit of research before making the purchase, and many of my questions were answered by existing topics on this forum. I wanted to thank everyone for sharing their experiences and knowledge of these awesome machines. Hopefully as I continue to learn my way around the XLR, I will be able to help someone else in the future as you have for me. Thanks again!

#25 ·
Jack:

Welcome to the XLR Forum!! We are pleased that you benefited from the information and experieces the members have contributed here.

Now you can help some of the next people that need more indepth information before buying a truly enjoyable car.

Regards

#24 ·
XLR is Black.... I don't have a built sheet (costs $50 from GM) or the serial number.

The GM Vehicle Inquiry System report shows "Pre-Delivery Inspection date is 09/24/2003". Not sure when it rolled off the line, but the dealer received it early Oct 2003.

Note - You can get this report free from a Cadillac dealer by going to the parts department and giving them the VIN number and politely asking them for the GM Vehicle Inquire System Report. This report is on their national computer so the XLR did not have to be purchased there. Report also shows any work done by Cadillac on the XLR and the pre-delivery inspection date. Nice!!

It would be interesting to see what the earliest Pre-Delivery Inspection date is for owners on the forum.

#27 ·
Welcome to the XLR Forum.
We know you will like the great people here.

There is a lot of good information and owner experiences here. Please feel free to add yours when you are ready.

In the meantime...why not put the top down while the car is in the garage and enjoy the convertible benefits too PLEASE BE SURE TO START IT FIRST so you don't wear down the battery.

Regards

#28 ·
Hello, My name is George, and I just brought the 2008 (Demo) Xenon XLR home last week. I have wanted this BLUE car for a number of years, and now it's a reality. Just now learning about all the buttons and functions within the ****pit controls. "I'm actually reading the manual". Former GM Delco Moraine Proving Grounds test engineer, and long time Cadillac owner. Currently driving, this XLR, a 2005 ESV (original owner), a 1995 Suburban (oo), 1979 crew cab dually (oo), a 1976 C20 (oo), a 1972 Vette (oo), and a 1955 Pontiac (project car found in the desert, not running) Did I mention we like GM products? HA HA! I do have a TECH question on rear end 'sounds'. Thank you.

#29 ·
George:

Welcome to the XLR Forum!!

I think you will find that we have a great group here along with lots of very valuable information about the car.

XENON BLUE: thats the color of my 2004. I really like it and find that it is very unique. Your car of course will be more so since that was the last year that it was offered.

REAR END SOUNDS: I just responded to another member about this issue. Being an engineer and an owner of Corvettes your are more than likely already familiar with the reolution...in most instances. The dealer will need to change the fluid and put in the corvette positraction additive. It may take a couple of changes but it will go away. The latest thinking by some uses the Mobil 1 Positraction fluid and the GM additive.

It will be a warranty item so there's no charge to you.

Good luck and please let us know how it works out for you.

#30 ·
Thanks, I figured it was 'fluid breakdown', since the whale oil based posi traction fluid was outlawed, it's been a case of "trail and error" as far as lubricating the clutch packs. On the 1972 Vette the GM additive seems to have a short life, but Red Line oils and additive seem to perform very well, SO FAR. Thank you for the info!