Cadillac XLR Forum banner

2004 xlr electrical problems

12K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Alarmu12 
#1 ·
Hey, I found an XLR 2004 that is missing the drivers side front smoked cover for the cruise control and of course the cruise does not work..Owner told me it needs to be cleaned...Does that make sense....

Also, the radio and GPS is not working plus the top has to be done manually. The vin carcheck says no accidents and Only 3 owners.. I t has a little over 100k miles....He called me and said i could have it for $14,000...The roof motor and sensors and boards etc. can be a $3,500 job..at Lindsay Cadillac. in Alexandria, Va.....but if it can be done manually, that is good for now...BUT, the cruise control, missing smoked cover, and no GPS or radio I am not sure about...If these are the only things wrong with the XLR i am thinking about purchasing it....but, I feel i might be looking getting myself into an electrical nightmare...Has anyonw ever had any of these problems..
PS: Also ,i was wondering if the seller got water damage and is not revealing it....I would look at the XLR but it is like 2,800 miles away.:confused:confused

#2 · (Edited)
It takes all of thirty seconds to clean the face of a cruise control module. If that's the problem, why didn't the owner do so and tell you all it needs is a smoked bezel? The owner's statement doesn't pass the dirty diaper smell test. Run!

There are plenty of 2004 XLRs for sale in much better condition than to even rate a second glance at this dog. Don't let the $14,000 price tag cloud your better judgement. I've seen wrecked XLRs on ebay go for this much. Consider every (known) problem's repair cost to potentially be the max, and you'll see that the sale price isn't that good of a deal. Not being a local sale makes it even more of a gamble. :banghead

Infotainment system replacement isn't going to be cheap. And when you see how primitive the navigation system GUI is, you'll really feel like you threw a lot of money away. The cruise control module is at least a $1000 (used.) Until it can be proven otherwise, consider the rear electronics compartment to have been flooded. The pump, folding top and suspension module replacement estimate of $3500 is reasonable. There are easily $5000 worth of repairs involved --and that's just what you know about. Obviously, it has been poorly taken care of.

Without having seen it, I'd bet even money the aluminum clad center console is dented. Wait until you try to pay for one of those bad boys. . . --if you can even find one.

And as far as raising and lowering the top manually --that's going to get old real fast, no matter how much money you're saving by holding off on a repair bill.

I've said this a number of times to potential XLR owners and it bears repeating: If you can't afford to keep up with the car's maintenance, you can't afford the car. The 2004s and '05s will eat you alive if they aren't meticulously cared for, and that means fixing problems as soon as they occur. XLR electrical problems can affect other subsystems since the car is so heavily integrated. A bad HVAC control module or infotainment system can knock out the HUD for example.

At 100,000 miles, this 2004 is a sub-$20k car anyway, and that's with everything in good working order. Hit the web and search for one without so many problems and you'll enjoy it that much more. Because once you sink so much money into it up front, and new problems start to crop up, (and they will) you're going to sour on the car real fast.

Your patience will ultimately pay off if you take your time and find the right one. It's just a car. --Or a potential nightmare . . . :puke that will ruin you life and turn it into a living hell. You'll spend so much time on this forum posting questions for problems that you'll end up getting terminal carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists. Unable to function normally, you'll have to quit your job. Allante owners will drive by, tops lowered and honk their horns at all hours of the day and night. In the end, you'll sit inside your immobile XLR, in a dark garage, in the middle of the night with a busted fob in one hand and a cell phone in the other, desperately trying to dial a suicide hotline. (That's the nightmare scenario I was alluding to.)

Or. . .

You can post back telling us how you patiently searched, found the perfect XLR at a great price, and we never hear from you again, because you're too busy enjoying it.

Just my .02, but it sounds like you really want an XLR. I think you deserve better.

CC

#3 ·
I got a mint condition 2004 Cadillac XLR that is advertised as you have seen already I will await your contact back but trust me you will not find a nicer cared after XLR then mine for a 2004 and especially I have all service records since day 1 and all updated top firmware and sensors along with the updated brake container, power steering pump, XLR-V Radiator,etc.

#4 ·
Xlr purchase

First listen to ccclarke. These cars are tough enough to keep up in mint condition, without buying this dog. I would bet the body is in no better condition. This car should be taken to the junk yard and sold for parts.
If any of the dash lights are lit and you keep driving it, it will go into safe mode and you will be stuck in one gear, so you do not over drive it. If you keep driving it, it will not start.
The money you would have to spend on this dog to get it going would buy you a lower mileage XLR in perfect condition.
These cars have to be repaired immediately after a problem arises. They are all computer controlled and on one continuous feed line. One problem on the line controls everything down the line.
Run for your life and only look for local cars.

#8 ·
wtb:an XLR or XLR-V

I passed on the 15 grand XLR..Just way too many electrical problems..I talked to Tony today and might purchase his...When i talk to him tomorrow i might want it chrome wrapped:eek I have never seen in person a chrome wrapped vehicle...Has anyone seen one ??if so what did u think..

btw: thanks guys for all your help...RADARB8...GREG O.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.