Cadillac XLR Forum banner

one confused owner

6K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  STARBLACK225 
#1 ·
okay I just bought a 2006 xlr, love it but am completely confused about the radio Ipod/Iphone capability. The center console has two distinct things that makes me believe you can hook your phone up to it, although the owners manual makes no mention of either to the best of my knowledge, and the work looks good so I was assuming it was factory installed but now Im thinking maybe not. Anyway, here they are:

the center console has a toggle switch, have no clue what it does, doesnt seem to do anything when I flip it, again the work appears god, was assuming it was factory installed now starting to wonder?

The center console also has a plug in adapter for the ipod/iphone, I cant get anything to work though, is this standard equipment or aftermarket, and can anyway help with how to get it to play?

#4 ·
There was no factory ipod option for the 2006 XLR. It would seem someone installed an aftermarket mod (there are several available) to allow an ipod to interface with the stock infotainment system.

Recently, I wanted to interface an ipod with my XLR, and did a lot of research on the products available.

In one case, I contacted the vendor and tried to decipher what their ad really meant. They admitted the XLR and their product weren't compatible, even though their website said differently.

Another product has a bad habit of draining the battery when the car is shut down, so that was out. (Despite the built-in battery saver function mentioned in the owner's manual, your battery will eventually drain to the point of being unable to start the car if you let it sit long enough.)

At this time, I have yet to hear of a 100% ipod interface solution. 100% means full functionality with the car's displays and controls, just like the stock infotainment system. You can get about 75% functionality, but it isn't always cheap, or easy for everybody to implement.

My wife's 2011 Chevy Traverse has multiple USB ports and is truly plug-and- play. It's just treated as an aux input. I wish the XLR was as easy to interface with, but it is what it is.

I settled for the cheaper, low-tech approach, and bought an FM transmitter that plugs into the center console, under the arm rest. The quality is okay, but not as good as say, a CD. It's easy to remove, and I'm tempted to cancel my XM subscription, since they're about the same sound quality, and at least I have a choice about what I get to listen to.

One of the aftermarket ipod interfaces for the XLR requires the operator to press a series of buttons while in XM2 to get it to operate; maybe that's what was installed in your car.

CC :)

#5 ·
Just a shot in the dark but someone might have put a lock pick in it. Hook up your iPod and turn on the radio. If you have an Xm 1/2 icon off to the left push it. That will activate it. Xm/1 is iPod control through the head unit. Xm/2 will say gm aux. that is am aux input.

#6 ·
Seems like a hard-wired FM modulator. Turn the radio on and select FM, move the toggle switch, your reception should get WORSE in one position or another. Bad reception = ON. Plug your ipod in, turn it on and playing. Hit the scan feature until you hear what its playing on your iPod the clearest. Set a preset for this frequency. Tuning your radio to "X" frequency and turning the switch on will give you a channel for the iPod.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.