Cadillac XLR Forum banner

Driver Side Door Handle Issues

8K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Deodanth01 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

New member here, I posted an intro in the appropriate forum, but I have a question regarding my XLR.

My car recently began to intermittently manifest a malfunction, which has become pretty much constant now. The car recognizes my Fob, and the passenger door opens fine, but the driver door will not open. I have to go through the passenger door and press the button to open the driver door. Occasionally, the inside button will stop working as well, and I have to use the lever. I have noticed that if I jiggle the driver door outside button, kind of an up/down thing with two fingers, it will occasionally release after a few tries. I figure that it may be the outside handle contacts or the like, however I have also noticed that I have to frequently re-index the driver door window as well.

I know from reading the past posts that there are several contributors that are actual techs or experts, and was hoping that someone might have an easy fix for this problem, as my warranty period has lapsed and we all know how expensive these beauties are to diagnose and repair.

Thanks!

~Rick

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum Rick.

The first thing I would suggest you try is to replace the battery in your FOB and keep the FOB away your from your cell phone. The Security System that works with the FOBs are on the passenger side of the car and that is why you do not have problems opening that door.

Having to re-index the windows is usually the starting signs of the main car battery going bad or a bad battery cable connection.

The FOB problem, I just had last month with both of mine having bad batteries after 5 years of use.

#3 · (Edited)
Welcome Rick!

After you've eliminated the obvious, (low battery, fob battery) and you're still fighting to get into the car, you could be experiencing a faulty exterior door switch. If so, they're easy to replace and actually one of the cheaper repairs the XLR offers.

Should you need to replace it, you can order them from gmpartsdirect, and save around 40% over a dealer's invoice, plus labor (a few minutes.) It might be a good idea to remove the switch, de-mate, inspect the pins, re-mate, and test the connector prior to ordering a new one.

Good luck!

CC

#4 ·
Thanks for the ideas guys, I really appreciate it. If it turns out that I need a new driver side external door switch from gmpartsdirect, do either of you have the part number handy? I'll be sure to report back and let you know what I find out!

Thanks again!

-Rick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.