Cadillac XLR Forum banner

Temp too cool

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  march 
#1 ·
I have an '06 base with 63000 kilometeres. When it is cold out it is slow to warm up and my temperature gauge doesn't go past 40C or 100F, the oil pressure is high, and sometimes the guage will suddenly drop down to zero, the check engine light comes on, and the radiator fans start running at all times. I verified the temp at the thermostat is only 40C or 100F with a laser point guage. I am told the thermostat is almost never problem and others who have had this problem don't solve it with a new thermostat. The check engine code is p0128 low temp. Hogwash had this problem exactly but he has not said how he solved it. Please help or if any of you know Hogwash ask him if he solved this.

#2 ·
If the engine temperature as measured with a touch-less thermometer is also 100 degrees, then 99% you have a faulty thermostat, assuming sufficient time to warm up. It sounds like you have more than one defect though. Modern thermostats are designed to fail open (they used to fail closed) and in my experience they always fail in the end, just a matter of time. Still, 6/7 years is a bit early.

Change the thermostat and see what happens.

HTHs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.