Cadillac XLR Forum banner

Which Wind Restrictor Is Best

• Windrestrictor

Votes: 45 78.9%
  • GM/Cadillac Mesh

Votes: 12 21.1%

glass windrestrictor Vs OEM mesh screen? wich is best?

1M views 75 replies 34 participants last post by  14792 
#1 ·
Glass Windrestrictor vs OEM Mesh Screen? Which Is Best?

what do u think

#36 ·
wind restrictors

I started with a factory mesh wind restrictor,
it worked well, and looks ok

I then bought a plexiglass windrestrictor
I think it might block a little more wind, but very similar to what the mesh blocked.
I think the plexiglass windrestrictor is superior because it looks much better and I have the lights set dim with the headlights on and a little brighter when braking. It created a nice glow in the car at night with the top up !!!

the quality and installation are excellent
when I called and was installing mine, it was near their closing time,
and the person I spoke to gave me his cell phone # so I could call him if I had problems into the evening , I didn't, but what service !!!!

I will never use the mesh wind restrictor again, ed :)

#37 ·
I started with a factory mesh wind restrictor,
it worked well, and looks ok

I then bought a plexiglass windrestrictor
I think it might block a little more wind, but very similar to what the mesh blocked.
I think the plexiglass windrestrictor is superior because it looks much better and I have the lights set dim with the headlights on and a little brighter when braking. It created a nice glow in the car at night with the top up !!!

the quality and installation are excellent
when I called and was installing mine, it was near their closing time,
and the person I spoke to gave me his cell phone # so I could call him if I had problems into the evening , I didn't, but what service !!!!

I will never use the mesh wind restrictor again, ed :)
Thank you so much for the feedback. We have had many of our customers that tell us the same thing about the quality. The mention of our customer service is a true honor. I promise we will try and live up to it. If anyone ever has any issues please contact us and we will help you work through it. We're having more and more dealerships contact us now that the word is getting out about the quality and the new option with our product.

Have a great week everyone!

#38 ·
We ordered the Windrestrictor the week after we bought our 08 Alpine white and it has not been off the car since. I agree with all good things said about the company. There is occasional glare at night and I could probably reduce it if I bothered to try and adjust it at night. Never tried the fabric.... just assume it would bother my vision.
Jester:jester

#40 ·
I installed my Windrestrictor per directions, and I get the glare at night, especially when there are bright lights behind the car, e.g., driving away from a shopping center. It would be hard to tilt because it presses tight against the roll bars. Maybe over time people get used to the glare, I don't know. As I said in my earlier review, even though the windscreen is hard to see though at night and does not look as attractive as the Windrestrictor, in my opinion it stops more of the back draft. Even after owning the car over a year, my wife still asked me to take her for drives at night when the weather is nice. She finds it romantic and often ends up "dancing" in the passenger seat while I drive. Less wind = happier wife. IMO the Windrestrictor stops approximately 80% of the back draft while the windscreen stops 90%. Others disagree.
Steve

#43 ·
For those that have been waiting on a promotion we're offering an incredible 20% off for a limited time! Discount code = URAWINNER20

From what we have seen in polls people do prefer our version, the "WindRestrictor"TM 75% over the net versions. It's unfortunate but sometimes our version is confused with the thin flexible plastic versions that are out there with velcro. Our version is the one above on the red car with "Cadillac" laser engraved onto the surface. A quality piece indeed! :seeya

Call us up at 972-487-5987 with any questions at all. We are always readily available to assist customers with any issues or inquiries at all! :yesnod

Have a WONDERFUL weekend!!!

#45 ·
Can't wait for mine to arrive

Wow, once again it would appear I made a wise decision (doesn't happen often)....
After a little research, (not on this forum, since I didn't know about it at the time)
I purchased a windrestrictor...Still waiting for it's arrival (suppose to be today)...
Can't wait...I opted for no lighting, but with the XLR silhouette...
I have other converts, a windscreen is a must....:cool

#47 ·
just added the windscreen

Received my windscreen in the mail last week, easy install... looks great... Love the etched XLR outline...no lighting...Haven't tried it at high speed, but seems to do the trick around town...there is a glare from lights in front of you, but I don't think it is a distraction, at least not at this point....:cool

#48 ·
Received my windscreen in the mail last week, easy install... looks great... Love the etched XLR outline...no lighting...Haven't tried it at high speed, but seems to do the trick around town...there is a glare from lights in front of you, but I don't think it is a distraction, at least not at this point....:cool
Congratulations!

We apprecaite your business. Please contact us if you need anything at all in the future. We stand behind our product 100%!

~Stephen

#50 ·
Mesh vs plastic

Not bad and I still think the GM Mesh looks much better, And just like our XLR'S they will be hard to find in the near future.. Since they are the original windscreen from GM they may be collectible along with our cars.. Our XLR'S will be a collector and I'll bet that the original GM mesh windscreen will be a sought after accessory.

#51 ·
Mesh windscreen

This is the first time i have seen the GM Mesh screen and to me it looks like an after thought. It does not look like it fits good to me there is no comparision to the looks of the glass windrestrictor. I have not bought one yet because my computer went out a few weeks ago and now that I have got over that expense the Holiday special has expired on the windrestrictor. Based on these pictures when I do buy it will be glass, not mesh.

#52 ·
This is the first time i have seen the GM Mesh screen and to me it looks like an after thought. It does not look like it fits good to me there is no comparision to the looks of the glass windrestrictor. I have not bought one yet because my computer went out a few weeks ago and now that I have got over that expense the Holiday special has expired on the windrestrictor. Based on these pictures when I do buy it will be glass, not mesh.
The great thing is we all make choices based on our own taste enjoy!
I love the way the GM mesh looks on my XLR subtlety in what I was looking for also..

#53 ·
windrestrictor

Having had my restrictor for a number of months now, I believe the glass or whatever the material is, should either be cut at a slight angle or at least installed at an angle to eliminate the glare created from the lights in front of you that is then reflected off the restrictor and into the rearview mirror and windshield, I find it to be distracting at times. Does anyone else notice this..
This being said, I still prefer it over the mesh...
I think I will try to install it so that it is at a slight angle to see if that eliminates the glare....

#54 ·
thank you for the kind words

and all the business this forum has generated 2010 we are very appreciative of the XLR forum and its members and you lucky folks that have these beautiful roadsters!! Don give us a call and we can offer the neighborly discount k? AS far as glare doc, its typically something that is resolved with the slight angle of the windrestrictor for your XLR, the product comes with a built in angle if you will just for this reason, this should be something that is a non issue for the most part as you get acustom to the new accessory. How long have you had your windrestrictor from Kingpenn industries?
Sincerely,
Rebekkah Pennington
KPI

#55 ·
I just ordered the windrestrictor with the light kit. I have the wind restrictor on my Solstice that I had customized with "get in, hold on & shut up" I like it so much I ordered the does it return the favor one for my xlr. Only thing I would change is wish the lighting was brighter. Looks awesome at night but in daylight it doesn't show the graphics too well. But in my opinion the wind restrictor is the best!!!!

#57 ·
Hello everyone thanks for the great reviews! Please contact us if you are in need of anything at all. We have a LIFETIME WARRANTY on this product that is an official licensed product of GM. :yesnod

Right now we're having our Spring Special 2011 so you'll save money and get one in time for top down driving weather! :cheers

More info?

Info@windrestrictor.com

#58 ·
Ok, purchase my windrestrictor a few months ago but just took the car out last week. Installed it yesterday with the extreme light kit and i love it. It will be awhile before i do any topless driving since i live in Northern Maine, but love the look even with the top up. Like having all the choices of colors with the light kit. Awesome product!!!

#59 ·
Awesome!!!!

:cheers

You folks are just wonderful on this forum! As always and forever we appreciate your continued patronage and we want to take the best care of you!!

Its top down weather in Texas baby!!! Get your windrestrictors ready!!
Sincerely,
Rebekkah
KPI

#62 ·
Windrestrictor / Mesh - Navigation Question Help

Thanks for all the feedback on windrestrictor Vs OEM Mesh. I decide to go all out and ordered the Windrestrictor/Lasered XLR and Lighted Brake/Dimmer kit it was $523 shipped to the door. Still a bargin if they want $650.00 for the Mesh. Thanks Again! Granddaddy"s Caddy!

#69 ·
Thanks for all the feedback on windrestrictor Vs OEM Mesh. I decide to go all out and ordered the Windrestrictor/Lasered XLR and Lighted Brake/Dimmer kit it was $523 shipped to the door. Still a bargin if they want $650.00 for the Mesh. Thanks Again! Granddaddy"s Caddy!
I chose the windrestrictor for its strong looks and the cool lighted cadillac emblem, when you hit the brakes. It is GM certified also. The mesh looks like it would be what you would get if you could not afford the good one. $100 would be a fair price for it, but $600 is ridiculous.
Thanks so much for your business! Please let us know if there is ever anything at all we can do for you. We stand behind our products 100% and have a lifetime warranty.

Stephen@windrestrictor.com
972-487-5987

Forum members do receive 10% off when using the following discount code year around.
XLR10KPI

We also carry the XLR lighted door sills now. :cool

#63 ·
I chose the windrestrictor for its strong looks and the cool lighted cadillac emblem, when you hit the brakes. It is GM certified also. The mesh looks like it would be what you would get if you could not afford the good one. $100 would be a fair price for it, but $600 is ridiculous.

#65 ·
Personally, I think they're both way over priced.

For about $20.00 I built my on using Aluminum Window Screening materals and Velcro Straping to hold it in place on the Roll Bars.

Mine even matches the design of the rear fenders/tail-lights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.