Cadillac XLR Forum banner

Corvette (and one XLR) Meet

13K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Hawkeye372 
#1 ·
Every September there is a large gathering of Corvettes (~14000+) in Effingham Illinois. This is sponsored by Mid America Motorworks. Mike Yager puts on quite an event. This year Three Dog Night is the performing band.

Since there are lots of ties with our XLR's to vettes, I'll make a showing. I hope not to be the only one.

GM and Bowling green plant personel there as well as Corsa and other aftermarket suppliers.

Here is a link to the website.

http://www.mamotorworks.com/funfest/corvettefunfest.asp

I live about 20 miles away and have plenty of space. We could stage at my place and make a grand entrance!

Bob

#6 ·
Bob, It looks like it will just be 2 Corvettes (Kathy's and her mom's). The Xlrs backed out on me. You may be the only one there. I have your cell and home numbers. Do you have my cell #? Did you want a picture cd from RII ? I can bring it with us. We plan on leaving our house by 8:00am. See you Sat.

Bruce

#7 ·
It will be good to see you Bruce. It is Friday and there are Corvettes ALL OVER this area. I had to get the V out and park next to a hotel with several Vettes in the lot this morning.

Looks like it will be just me. I'll do my best to represent us XLR'ers well.

Bob

#8 ·
1 lone XLR

Well, it was just Bob and Paula in their beautiful XLR-V at Funfest in Effingham, IL. yesterday. They tried but weren't allowed to park with us Corvettes (about 14,000). The XLR drew a lot of attention from the crowd. There were 2 more XLRs in the Bowling Green Assembly tent that drew large crowds all day long. During the times we were there I think they drew more attention then the Corvettes did. People love that folding roof.

Bruce

#9 ·
The score was 14000 to 4!

As Bruce mentioned, we had the only XLR there as a participant. The Bowling Green Plant was well represented with 2 Corvettes and 2 XLR's on display. They brought up a third XLR that was out giving demo rides if I understood Tom correctly. We never saw it.

Tom Hill was there and we (Bruce, Cathy, Paula and I) had a nice chat with him. The plant Manager, Wil Cooksey, was present signing autographs with several other celebreties. It was nice to see Bruce and Cathy (Cadillac Tech) again.

On our way out, we snuck past the "Corvette police" (LOL) and manuvered to the drive thru show center. We were stopped several times with appreciative remarks and people giving the thumbs up. One guy said that he was a fan but had never seen one in person and thanked us for coming.

I am going to contact Mike Yaeger, CEO of Midcoast Motor works to discuss integrating our cars into the event. I'll post the results

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.