Cadillac XLR Forum banner

keyless entry problem

8K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  ddtier 
#1 ·
My 2006 XLR has a temperamental entry on the driver side. It will not immediately open until I move my finger tips around or restart the process. Eventually it does work. I changed the FOB battery without any success.
Any comments are welcome. Thanks:D

#4 ·
keyless entry fix

If you remove the external door handle or pad(Two Screws and unplug) disassemble the handle(seven small screws on the back side), carefully clean all the contacts with electronics spray cleaner and pencil eraser, apply a small amount of die-electric grease to the contacts and reassemble. I had the same issue with mine; a friend suggested the same repair with my car and haven't had any further issues. This fix is very easy; it took me a matter of 10 mins to complete. Hope it works for you.

#5 ·
I would suggest that you read and perform the section on 'Programming the FOB' in the Owner's Manual.

It sounds like you just need to re-fresh your FOB's program.

Do you have the same problem with both FOBs?( Asumming you have more than 1 of course.)

Good Luck,

#6 ·
I recently had a very similar problem with my drivers side door touch pad. It would intermittently work and I had to press in different spots to get it to finally command the door to unlatch. --Frustrating and embarassing, especially when you're in a hurry after filling up!

I purchased a new switch for less than $20 online and installed in less time than it takes to write this up. Voila! It works perfect every time now. Of course, it makes sense--the drivers side switch gets a lot more use than the passenger side, so it's bound to have a higher failure rate.

CC :)

#7 ·
Ok, I'm confused. Were you having problems with the 'Touch Pad' in the door, or your FOB?

Please clarify!

#11 ·
Just a follow-up to let everyone know what results I had. I did exactly what Strampe suggested and could not believe how simple it was. After disassembling the pad and spraying it with electronic cleaner and wiping the contacts (gently) I was really pleased with the improvements. The door pad works like new. So thanks again for the information, I sincerely appreciate it.

#13 ·
+1

+1. I just cleaned ours today and the doors pop instantly. The drivers door was getting real bad but the passenger door improved too. Had to use commutator burnishing tool to cut through the crud on the copper side. Followed up with dielectric grease. I think I may go ahead and order new ones as they are dirt cheap and still available. Planning on keeping our XLR for a long time. Gonna clean the trunk release next. Its a little harder to get to.

Thanks to all for sharing of information!

Dave :flag

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.