Adaptive Cruise Control revisited [Archive] - Cadillac XLR Forum: XLR and XLR-V Forums

: Adaptive Cruise Control revisited

standby
04-03-2005, 07:10 PM
Just for the record, I was admonished for saying the cruise control will bring you to a complete stop.
Actually I was right............I tested it four times on city streets and each time my vehicle came down to 6 MPH without any assist from me before shutting off and having to put my foot on the brake.

If I had not put my foot on the brake at that time, I would have come to a complete stop in someone's trunk.

The point, at the time, was to show everyone that the vehicle will get to a point that everyone could handle a 6 MPH crash, Probably with little damage and no injury.

What do you think Harry?:grouphug

aviator
04-03-2005, 08:53 PM
Just for the record, I was admonished for saying the cruise control will bring you to a complete stop.

No admonition here. I have also experienced the same thing, standby. It will get you down to very slow, if the car in front is decelerating slowly. But rapid deceleration by the lead car, may reult in a higher "bump" speed.

But 6 mph is not a complete stop.

I like the adaptive cruise on the highway, but not in moderate traffic. For safety reasons, it follows too far back. In Houston, four cars can slip in the gap - even on the closest following setting.

standby
04-03-2005, 10:40 PM
I came in on a hard stop and watched the HUD and the car in front. This car is fantastic. I mean it ground to halt, OK 6MPH. I don't like it for the same reason. To big of a space for people to dive in.

No admonition here. I have also experienced the same thing, standby. It will get you down to very slow, if the car in front is decelerating slowly. But rapid deceleration by the lead car, may reult in a higher "bump" speed.

I like the adaptive cruise on the highway, but not in moderate traffic. For safety reasons, it follows too far back. In Houston, four cars can slip in the gap - even on the closest following setting.

harrysxlr
04-04-2005, 11:43 AM
[QUOTE=standby]I came in on a hard stop and watched the HUD and the car in front. This car is fantastic. I mean it ground to halt, OK 6MPH. I don't like it for the same reason. To big of a space for people to dive in.[/QUOT

Hi Bob,

I tried out my ACC only two times but not to a complete stop. As you know Harry from Germany always want to go fast and the cruise control is nothing for driving speeds in the 100 to 170 mph range.

But IŽll try it out on mine in the next days and let you know how it works on my XLR.

Did you take a look at my other post`s???

Have a nice monday

Harry

dataman
04-04-2005, 03:30 PM

FYI you can adjust the follow distance.

standby
04-04-2005, 06:45 PM
I've got it adjusted down to the smallest distance and at sixty to seventy there is four car lengths and you can't set it to get any closer, unless you put pressure on the accelerator, and run up the guys butt, and I'm from southern Ca., not San Francisco

standby
04-04-2005, 06:48 PM
Yes Harry my good friend,

But, Please cover your brake in case yours doesn't go down to 6 mph. I know the way you drive, so you need to be ready. It's a fun test, especially with someone in the car that can see your feet are over by the door. HE HE HE!

[QUOTE=standby]I came in on a hard stop and watched the HUD and the car in front. This car is fantastic. I mean it ground to halt, OK 6MPH. I don't like it for the same reason. To big of a space for people to dive in.[/QUOT

Hi Bob,

I tried out my ACC only two times but not to a complete stop. As you know Harry from Germany always want to go fast and the cruise control is nothing for driving speeds in the 100 to 170 mph range.

But IŽll try it out on mine in the next days and let you know how it works on my XLR.

Did you take a look at my other post`s???

Have a nice monday

Harry

aviator
04-04-2005, 11:32 PM

You're right. But not so close.

And in Houston, at the closest following setting, four cars with their drivers talking on cell phones, slapping their kids, eating, drinking, and putting on eye make-up will slide in on me. :boxing :smash :banghead

No likey. :nodno

XLRcited
04-08-2005, 02:10 PM
OK - I don 't mean to take sides in this feud, but on my '05 the ACC drops out at 20 mph exactly (and can't get re-activated until 25 mph). It definately does not stay on below 20. At 20 mph, there is a flashing/beeping red indicator warning me to wake-up and assume control.

Bill

standby
04-08-2005, 02:27 PM
This isn't a feud, it's about information. I haven't heard anyone say that I'm blind or can't read my readout in my HUD. My vehicle maybe different from others. BTW, yours is a 05 while mine is an 04. They might have upped the shut off on the 05's. The main argument was I reported my vehicle came to a stop, which of course it did not, but close enough that if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck. "quack quack":glol :glol

Some may do 180 MPH, while others only 172, that doesn't make one guy wrong for reporting what he sees in the HUD.

OK - I don 't mean to take sides in this feud, but on my '05 the ACC drops out at 20 mph exactly (and can't get re-activated until 25 mph). It definately does not stay on below 20. At 20 mph, there is a flashing/beeping red indicator warning me to wake-up and assume control.

Bill

XLRcited
04-08-2005, 03:01 PM
That's just the point - that Cadillac could have changed something. I assume there is also the possibility - maybe remote - that something is wrong with your ACC.

On the '04, do you ever see/hear a flashing red indicator in the HUD? If so, what speed does it start? When the beeping starts at 19.9 mph, the ACC has stopped but in order to stop the beeping I need to hit the brakes as the radar is still sensing that I might hit something.

BTW - "If it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a toxic waste incinerator."

This isn't a feud, it's about information. I haven't heard anyone say that I'm blind or can't read my readout in my HUD. My vehicle maybe different from others. BTW, yours is a 05 while mine is an 04. They might have upped the shut off on the 05's. The main argument was I reported my vehicle came to a stop, which of course it did not, but close enough that if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck. "quack quack":glol :glol

Some may do 180 MPH, while others only 172, that doesn't make one guy wrong for reporting what he sees in the HUD.

standby
04-08-2005, 03:15 PM
Quack quack......That sounds like a lawyer joke.

Do you know why NJ has all the waste dumps and Washinton D.C has all the lawyers?

New Jersey had the first pick.

That's too much stuff to be watching when I'm closing in on the back of a semi, but I have noticed the flashing and beeping, but at what speed I cannot say and will take the 5th if asked by the "Congressional Committee For Driving While Being An Idiot". aka.......CCFDWBAI.

That's just the point - that Cadillac could have changed something. I assume there is also the possibility - maybe remote - that something is wrong with your ACC.

On the '04, do you ever see/hear a flashing red indicator in the HUD? If so, what speed does it start? When the beeping starts at 19.9 mph, the ACC has stopped but in order to stop the beeping I need to hit the brakes as the radar is still sensing that I might hit something.

BTW - "If it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a toxic waste incinerator."

standby
04-08-2005, 05:27 PM
Ok, I went out to the market and did it 5 more times.

Starts blinking and making noise around 17 or 18mph, starts to shut down, but doesn't. If you don't touch the brake it Will go down to 6MPH before it goes off completely and then I rolled up close to the car without touching my brake and without hitting the car on a flat road.

Touchdown!:grouphug

My mom has been gone for 26 years and I swear on the love I had for my mom that this is true and in no way embellished.

Rainey
04-08-2005, 06:55 PM
Hello All

I had the same exact results that Standby had. Other people watching me probably though I was drunk or just a moron for the way I was driving while testing this theory. Could a dirty or cloudy lens affect the range and mph adjustment?

Jason

standby
04-08-2005, 07:46 PM
First of all, I would like to thank Rainey for supporting what is not a theory any longer.

Dirty lens might do that, but who on this forum would have a dirty anything on this masterpiece.

I figured out that when I'm around 17 MPH the car dips rather hard in order to try and stop, when this happens the radar is probably looking under the car in front at this point and when the car comes back up it makes contact again and applies the brakes for the second time.:thumbs

Don't be chicken guys and gals, the car will give you time to put your foot on the brake with about a car length between you and the car in front.:puke

Come on Harry, you said you were going to try it. Sorry, forgot it's raining in Germany.:nono

I just know someone is going to tap a vehicle if this keeps up.
:nono
Hello All

I had the same exact results that Standby had. Other people watching me probably though I was drunk or just a moron for the way I was driving while testing this theory. Could a dirty or cloudy lens affect the range and mph adjustment?

Jason

harrysxlr
04-10-2005, 05:01 AM
First of all, I would like to thank Rainey for supporting what is not a theory any longer.

Dirty lens might do that, but who on this forum would have a dirty anything on this masterpiece.

I figured out that when I'm around 17 MPH the car dips rather hard in order to try and stop, when this happens the radar is probably looking under the car in front at this point and when the car comes back up it makes contact again and applies the brakes for the second time.:thumbs

Don't be chicken guys and gals, the car will give you time to put your foot on the brake with about a car length between you and the car in front.:puke

Come on Harry, you said you were going to try it. Sorry, forgot it's raining in Germany.:nono

I just know someone is going to tap a vehicle if this keeps up.

Hi Bob,

I tried it out today a couple times and it works perfect.

The system goes off completely when it goes down below 10 kph ( 6 miles) but all is so soft. I never had a dangerous feeling about it, sure it brakes down a little harder when the car in front of you comes to a abrupt stop and this is as you said in the 20-25 mph range. It`s a real fine thing and maybe I use it once and a while when IŽm not on my way for business.

Hey Bob, my car is still clean but it`s cold outside with clouds but dry. Hope I soon can drive top-down for the first time this year.

Maybe today I make some pics of my pin stripes and the tips I put on. Hey, but mine are all straight, I putem on myself. :yesnod

Have a nice Sunday

Harry

standby
04-10-2005, 09:45 AM
See, no one wanted to beleive me. Just have to have faith in the lord...............GM. Going to church to pray for Harry to shrink his photos.
Auf Wiedersehen,
Robert Swartzman aka Robert Blackman

Hi Bob,

I tried it out today a couple times and it works perfect.

The system goes off completely when it goes down below 10 kph ( 6 miles) but all is so soft. I never had a dangerous feeling about it, sure it brakes down a little harder when the car in front of you comes to a abrupt stop and this is as you said in the 20-25 mph range. It`s a real fine thing and maybe I use it once and a while when IŽm not on my way for business.

Hey Bob, my car is still clean but it`s cold outside with clouds but dry. Hope I soon can drive top-down for the first time this year.

Maybe today I make some pics of my pin stripes and the tips I put on. Hey, but mine are all straight, I putem on myself. :yesnod

Have a nice Sunday

Harry

harrysxlr
04-10-2005, 11:14 AM
See, no one wanted to beleive me. Just have to have faith in the lord...............GM. Going to church to pray for Harry to shrink his photos.
Auf Wiedersehen,
Robert Swartzman aka Robert Blackman

Now anybody have to believe us!!!! :yesnod
Maybe I have to wash my photo-cd, do you think it will shrink :glol :glol :glol

But you know what, the last photos I posted I did not need to shrink them. I don`t know anymore who was it but someone gave me the right instructions.

W`ll see

Have a nice sunday Herr Schwarzmann

Harry

standby
04-10-2005, 08:18 PM
AAAh! no T and an extra n. See, I learned something today.

:iagree Yes, put you photo's out in the rain, that should shrink them.:cheers

Maybe that person will read this post and help you do this. I'm all thumbs when trying to mess with photo's

Now anybody have to believe us!!!! :yesnod
Maybe I have to wash my photo-cd, do you think it will shrink :glol :glol :glol

But you know what, the last photos I posted I did not need to shrink them. I don`t know anymore who was it but someone gave me the right instructions.

W`ll see

Have a nice sunday Herr Schwarzmann

Harry

harrysxlr
04-11-2005, 09:20 AM
[QUOTE=standby]AAAh! no T and an extra n. See, I learned something today.

Maybe that person will read this post and help you do this. I'm all thumbs when trying to mess with photo's[/QUOT

Hi Bob, I brought my pics in, but in Cadillacforums.com - there it works :thumbs

Take a look there

Harry

standby
04-11-2005, 10:40 AM
Hi Harry, http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_27_1.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk572YYUS)

Well I see you finally got those pics up and running. I love tenasity. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_55.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk572YYUS)

You need to take some close ups of the tips and the pin stripping so we can see it better. I have been able to shrink some of my photo's but it takes me quite a while to figure it all out so I'm hoping someone will help you that sees this.

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/18/18_3_108.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk572YYUS) There goes Harry!

later,
Bob

[QUOTE=standby]AAAh! no T and an extra n. See, I learned something today.

Maybe that person will read this post and help you do this. I'm all thumbs when trying to mess with photo's[/QUOT

Hi Bob, I brought my pics in, but in Cadillacforums.com - there it works :thumbs

Take a look there

Harry

harrysxlr
04-11-2005, 12:07 PM
Hi Harry, http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_27_1.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk572YYUS)

Well I see you finally got those pics up and running. I love tenasity. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_55.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk572YYUS)

You need to take some close ups of the tips and the pin stripping so we can see it better. I have been able to shrink some of my photo's but it takes me quite a while to figure it all out so I'm hoping someone will help you that sees this.

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/18/18_3_108.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk572YYUS) There goes Harry!

later,
Bob

Bob you are unbelievable good, when I saw and read this I had to laugh and a :D
came over my face.

IŽll take some photos when the sun is out, so my thunder-gray color comes out real good, so do the chrome pins. Next days!!!

I drove on the I 15 to Vegas but the had that time some helicopters who watched the traffic for speeders. I didn`t go over 100 mph :yawn

Ok, IŽll be back from my trip tomorow afternoon, I`ll see you.

Harry

wzlr
04-19-2005, 08:35 PM
I've got it adjusted down to the smallest distance and at sixty to seventy there is four car lengths and you can't set it to get any closer, unless you put pressure on the accelerator, and run up the guys butt, and I'm from southern Ca., not San Francisco
The headway distance is based on time X speed. The shortest time gap is 1 sec. If the vehicle speed is 60 MPH ( ~ 30 mps), the shortest gap is 30 meters.
Shorter time gap will have a higher risk of collision.
wzlr

wzlr
04-19-2005, 08:43 PM

Starts blinking and making noise around 17 or 18mph, starts to shut down, but doesn't. If you don't touch the brake it Will go down to 6MPH before it goes off completely and then I rolled up close to the car without touching my brake and without hitting the car on a flat road.

Touchdown!:grouphug

My mom has been gone for 26 years and I swear on the love I had for my mom that this is true and in no way embellished.
Stanby,
You are right. A friend of mine tested the car and saw the same thing.
wzlr

standby
04-19-2005, 09:08 PM
Thanks wsir,

It's always nice to get confirmation, especially when some folks have a different opinion but refuse to go out and back up their opinion with an actual test.
stanby
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_55.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk572YYUS)I applaud you

Stanby,
You are right. A friend of mine tested the car and saw the same thing.
wzlr

mswaim
04-19-2005, 09:34 PM
I don't think anyone has a different opinion, Bob. We just want to pin you down on what yours really is. Just to recap, here is your post in its entirety. I realize you went back and deleted the post so no one could hold you to your word, but.............now just to be sure, is it: come to a complete stop without hitting a fixed object, or it will drop to six miles per hour - just as the owners manual depicts. I NEVER doubted the owners manual, I only doubted you stating that the car was capable of avoiding a collision which it cannot and will not.

"OK, Ok, already,
Keep light foot pressure on the accelerator and it overides the active cruise control. If you really want to have fun, take somebody for a ride on city streets and put the cruise on and put your legs over near the door. When the car in front of you comes to a complete stop at a light or stop street, the XLR will also come to a complete stop without hitting the car in front and not putting your foot on the brake. WARNING! be ready to put you foot on the brake when it stops. The cruise at this point will deactivate. It's like playing chicken."

The part I find puzzling is a guy risking a $70,000 car just to prove a point on the internet..............now that is amazing. :thumbs

standby
04-20-2005, 12:47 AM
Obviously you feel that your that person I mentioned in my post.
I wasn't risking anything. I'm a professional race car driver and don't feel I'm compromising anyone's safety in having the guts to back up my testing.
Just for the record it is a $82,000 dollar car after tires, rims, exhaust, etc. If you want me to be exact with my information, I want you to be exact with yours..
God forbid I should call a glass half full, you would want to call it half empty, because that's just you. This is probable part of your training as a cop.
Isn't Jealousy a terrible thing? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_11.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk572YYUS)

The part I find puzzling is a guy risking a $70,000 car just to prove a point on the internet..............now that is amazing. :thumbs

mswaim
04-20-2005, 08:40 AM
It's not an issue of the cup being half full Bob, it's really just about you being wrong from the very beginning - and me being right from the very beginning.

All of your attempts to insult me both on and off-line can do little to change the level of satisfaction I get from that. Thank you! :thumbs

Dozer42
04-20-2005, 10:23 AM
Looks like some childish little boy got caught in his lie and then tried to cover it up.

standby
04-20-2005, 05:58 PM
FYI Dozer 42,

I didn't get caught in any lie. I claimed my ACC would come to a complete stop behind another car. Actually it did on one occasion because it was slightly up hill. The other nine times I had to put my foot on the brake when the ACC cut off at 6 MPH. That's close enought for me to call it, "a complete stop". I have been backed up by quite a few people that tried it out also. I guess, according to Negative Mswaim, their idiots too. To bad Negative Mswaim didn't have the guts to try it out himself, and you call me childish?
He goes out of his way to attack me, and I have never attacked him verbaly the way he has me, except in a response.

This is a personal thing between Negative Mswaim and myselfLooks like some childish little boy got caught in his lie and then tried to cover it up.

standby
04-20-2005, 06:03 PM
Let me tell you my satisfaction. As of this post you are blocked from harrasing me. I suggest you do the same so you aren't force to read my posts. Your not a cop anymore and you should stop harrasing people is if you where.
Chow!

It's not an issue of the cup being half full Bob, it's really just about you being wrong from the very beginning - and me being right from the very beginning.

All of your attempts to insult me both on and off-line can do little to change the level of satisfaction I get from that. Thank you! :thumbs

harrysxlr
04-21-2005, 05:22 AM
Let me tell you my satisfaction. As of this post you are blocked from harrasing me. I suggest you do the same so you aren't force to read my posts. Your not a cop anymore and you should stop harrasing people is if you where.
Chow!

Hi there,

about 2 hours ago I went out with my XLR and remember this writing here in the forum, so I had to try it out AGAIN!!!!!!!

The same thing happened as a couple of days ago (some of you guys may read it)
if the car goes through ACC braking under 10 kph (6 miles) the system deactivates by itself. Very soft but deactivates!!!!!!!

I was about 7 meters(meter about a yard) behind a car in front of me when the system deactivates. The car in front of me came to a complete stop and about 1 meter distance between him and me brought my foot on the brake pedal.

If I wouldn`t brake by myself I would run into him. That`s what I can tell you and I tried it out myself.

WHEN THE ACC SYSTEM GOES BELOW 10 kph/6 miles IT DEACTIVATES!!!!!!!!!!

Harry

XLRcited
04-21-2005, 07:31 AM

Starts blinking and making noise around 17 or 18mph, starts to shut down, but doesn't.

Rereading these posts made me think of other possibilities. Analytically, there are a couple of options/reasons for the observed differences.

1. There are differences between the 2004 and 2005 models as to when the ACC shuts down.
2. We are not observing/reporting on the same event.

I cannot speak to #1 and would ask Mr XLR - Allen - if he knows if the ACC parameters were changed with new production.

Re #2, I reported that my system deactivates at or slightly below 20 mph. At this speed, a red icon begins flashing - and beeping loudly - in the HUD. This will continue until I hit the brake or the accelerator. However, the ACC is OFF at this point meaning that IT WILL NOT RESUME ON ITS OWN POWER - although you can still can see ACC info in the HUD (including the red icon). Resume means that (assuming the car in front has moved out of sight) the car's speed would return to its posted settings.

It just may be that the blinking - flashing - will continue until 6 mph - or 10 kph as Harry has reported - when the flashing and beeping just stops or gives up. The test to make is to see if under 20 mph, when the beeping starts in your vehicle, whether your car will resume the original speed settings without any intervention from you. I doubt that will be the case. If so, the ACC settings have actually disconnected at or slightly below 20 mph and all that remains is a noisy warning system prompting the driver to do something.

Bill

harrysxlr
04-21-2005, 09:43 AM
Rereading these posts made me think of other possibilities. Analytically, there are a couple of options/reasons for the observed differences.

1. There are differences between the 2004 and 2005 models as to when the ACC shuts down.
2. We are not observing/reporting on the same event.

I cannot speak to #1 and would ask Mr XLR - Allen - if he knows if the ACC parameters were changed with new production.

Re #2, I reported that my system deactivates at or slightly below 20 mph. At this speed, a red icon begins flashing - and beeping loudly - in the HUD. This will continue until I hit the brake or the accelerator. However, the ACC is OFF at this point meaning that IT WILL NOT RESUME ON ITS OWN POWER - although you can still can see ACC info in the HUD (including the red icon). Resume means that (assuming the car in front has moved out of sight) the car's speed would return to its posted settings.

It just may be that the blinking - flashing - will continue until 6 mph - or 10 kph as Harry has reported - when the flashing and beeping just stops or gives up. The test to make is to see if under 20 mph, when the beeping starts in your vehicle, whether your car will resume the original speed settings without any intervention from you. I doubt that will be the case. If so, the ACC settings have actually disconnected at or slightly below 20 mph and all that remains is a noisy warning system prompting the driver to do something.

Bill

Hi Bill,

no, my car braked down harder in the 20 - 30 mph range but you could feel the soft turn-off of the ACC at exactly 10 kph (6 miles).

Sure I had the blinking and warning in my HUD but under 6 mph there`s only the speedo showing - no more ACC.

Mine is a 2004, do you think they changed this system on an 05???

Harry

XLRcited
04-21-2005, 10:01 AM
Hi Bill,

no, my car braked down harder in the 20 - 30 mph range but you could feel the soft turn-off of the ACC at exactly 10 kph (6 miles).

Sure I had the blinking and warning in my HUD but under 6 mph there`s only the speedo showing - no more ACC.

Mine is a 2004, do you think they changed this system on an 05???

Harry

Harry - I have not had the chance to test whether the blinking/flashing stays on in my car until 6 mph/10 kph. I suspect that it does. But I do know - and have tested - that my ACC is actually off under 20 mph as it won't resume its speed settings automatically. Below 20 mph, the ACC is not controlling braking or speed any longer and using its warning system wants me to take control of the car.

There have been other times when the red icon appeared with the beeping noise when I was rapidly approaching a car at too high of a speed and my ACC was warning me of a potential problem. In one instance the car in front started to speed up and the flashing and beeping stopped and my car resumed its speed settings.

It would be interesting to hear from someone who knows the technical specifications of the system so we can move on to other pertinent discussions.

mswaim
04-21-2005, 10:05 AM
Just to reiterate, my original position as it relates to the ACC has never changed. The point of contention is over the system's ability to AVOID a collsion, something Bob clearly stated he had tested and proven to be a functioning feature of the system, advertised or not.

I always understood the system would brake somewhat sharply, lowering the XLR's speed to somewhere near 6 mph, but once it reached that point the system would deactivate and the only way the vehicle would come to a complete stop would be from some form of external intervention, ie, applied braking, hitting a fixed object, encountering an incline, etc. Left on its own, my car continues to roll as long as it is in "drive".

Now, it may be rolling at a very minimal speed, however if you are going to begin a rebuttal thread and solicite support for your position, you best hope your position is absolutely correct - and Bob's is not.

XLRcited
04-21-2005, 10:37 AM
Now, it may be rolling at a very minimal speed, however if you are going to begin a rebuttal thread and solicite support for your position, you best hope your position is absolutely correct - and Bob's is not.

See the XLR Manual quotes on the other thread. I believe the manual is clear in how the system operates and that the system has disengaged below 20 mph. Without any human intervention the:

- beeping/flashing will continue until somewhere below 10 mph.
- car will slow due to normal road resistance (faster in a lower gear obviously)

I was intriqued as to the statement in the manual that the "system will begin to disengage" below 20 mph. If this wording was intentional then that may suggest that some activity is still taking place. I suspect that the wording was not intentional and that the ACC has shutdown at 20 mph with only the warning system still active.

standby
04-21-2005, 12:46 PM
I would suggest that everyone that has posted somthing about the ACC, should have the courage of your conviction and try it out a few times. This is the true test, no matter what Swaim thinks. This has been tried by four members that I know of, and all have found my facts to be exactly as announced. (At 19mph it seems to go off, but comes back strong and then kicks off at 6mph. I don't doubt what it says in the manual or any other place, but if you haven't tried it, your argument is pointless. Remember if you don't vote you should have no opinion?

TRY IT...............Then chew my butt out:banghead

See the XLR Manual quotes on the other thread. I believe the manual is clear in how the system operates and that the system has disengaged below 20 mph. Without any human intervention the:

- beeping/flashing will continue until somewhere below 10 mph.
- car will slow due to normal road resistance (faster in a lower gear obviously)

I was intriqued as to the statement in the manual that the "system will begin to disengage" below 20 mph. If this wording was intentional then that may suggest that some activity is still taking place. I suspect that the wording was not intentional and that the ACC has shutdown at 20 mph with only the warning system still active.

XLRcited
04-21-2005, 01:04 PM
I would suggest that everyone that has posted somthing about the ACC, should have the courage of your conviction and try it out a few times. This is the true test, no matter what Swaim thinks. This has been tried by four members that I know of, and all have found my facts to be exactly as announced. (At 19mph it seems to go off, but comes back strong and then kicks off at 6mph. I don't doubt what it says in the manual or any other place, but if you haven't tried it, your argument is pointless. Remember if you don't vote you should have no opinion?

TRY IT...............Then chew my butt out:banghead

I think many are missing the point. Below 20 mph the ACC disengages. The warning signs are still there. ACC will not resume if the car in front disappears. This is what the manual states.

I don't doubt what you see or hear - the only question is if ACC still is in control of something - brakes and/or gas pedal. In my case - tried and tested - ACC has no functionality below 20 mph except to warn me to wake-up. If I touch either the accelerator or the brake, it stops barking.

I will find the right opportunity sometime to let the system continue barking at me until 6 mph or so to see what happens. Without any facts from the designers, I suspect that ACC is not controlling the car and the car is simply coasting with an irritating noise. Someone at GM has the foresight to program the noise to shut-off at 6 mph. I will let you know.

But the test you can run is ... once the car slows below 20 and with ACC still engaged, will it automatically resume up to the programmed speed if the car in front moves out of the way by turning or increasing its speed? I don't think it will.

Bill

wzlr
04-21-2005, 01:17 PM
I think many are missing the point. Below 20 mph the ACC disengages. The warning signs are still there. ACC will not resume if the car in front disappears. This is what the manual states.

I don't doubt what you see or hear - the only question is if ACC still is in control of something - brakes and/or gas pedal. In my case - tried and tested - ACC has no functionality below 20 mph except to warn me to wake-up. If I touch either the accelerator or the brake, it stops barking.

I will find the right opportunity sometime to let the system continue barking at me until 6 mph or so to see what happens. Without any facts from the designers, I suspect that ACC is not controlling the car and the car is simply coasting with an irritating noise. Someone at GM has the foresight to program the noise to shut-off at 6 mph. I will let you know.

But the test you can run is ... once the car slows below 20 and with ACC still engaged, will it automatically resume up to the programmed speed if the car in front moves out of the way by turning or increasing its speed? I don't think it will.

Bill
Bill.
ACC is allowed to turn on @ 25 MPH. It will turn off @ 120 MPH.
When the speed is below 20 MPH, ACC will disengage and will not resume when target is moving away. Notice there is a hysteresis for turn on and off.
Below 20 MPH, the brakes (if there are any) will ramp down to zero, slowly for smoothness.
Since ACC is a convenience feature, GM wants the driver to take over at low speed (irritating chime).

XLRcited
04-21-2005, 02:40 PM
Bill.
ACC is allowed to turn on @ 25 MPH. It will turn off @ 120 MPH.
When the speed is below 20 MPH, ACC will disengage and will not resume when target is moving away. Notice there is a hysteresis for turn on and off.
Below 20 MPH, the brakes (if there are any) will ramp down to zero, slowly for smoothness.
Since ACC is a convenience feature, GM wants the driver to take over at low speed (irritating chime).
Thanks. I think the question this forum is debating is whether ACC is active below 20 mph -specifically whether it is still on in any capacity. Many have had different experiences with it. It seems that while the system disengages below 20, there may be continued pressure one the brakes until the driver takes over. Could this be?

wzlr
04-21-2005, 02:55 PM
Thanks. I think the question this forum is debating is whether ACC is active below 20 mph -specifically whether it is still on in any capacity. Many have had different experiences with it. It seems that while the system disengages below 20, there may be continued pressure one the brakes until the driver takes over. Could this be?
Yes. There are some brakes "activity" below that speed. But the driver should always follow the instructions in the XLR manual. :seeya

standby
04-21-2005, 04:39 PM
For fear of sounding smug, I rest my case & Mswaim should rest his. There it is from the man who helped design and work on the ACC.

Thanks wzir

Yes. There are some brakes "activity" below that speed. But the driver should always follow the instructions in the XLR manual. :seeya

standby
04-21-2005, 04:46 PM
The question as to whether the vehicle will resume upwards has never been a part of this discussion. It has to do with, does it continue to brake to 6mph. This is another whole can of worms, and I believe you are probably right as to it not resuming to the original setting. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_55.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk572YYUS)

Bill

mswaim
04-21-2005, 06:24 PM
STATEMENT # 1

"OK, Ok, already,
Keep light foot pressure on the accelerator and it overides the active cruise control. If you really want to have fun, take somebody for a ride on city streets and put the cruise on and put your legs over near the door. When the car in front of you comes to a complete stop at a light or stop street, the XLR will also come to a complete stop without hitting the car in front and not putting your foot on the brake. WARNING! be ready to put you foot on the brake when it stops. The cruise at this point will deactivate. It's like playing chicken."

STATEMENT # 2

"Just for the record, I was admonished for saying the cruise control will bring you to a complete stop.
Actually I was right............I tested it four times on city streets and each time my vehicle came down to 6 MPH without any assist from me before shutting off and having to put my foot on the brake. If I had not put my foot on the brake at that time, I would have come to a complete stop in someone's trunk.
The point, at the time, was to show everyone that the vehicle will get to a point that everyone could handle a 6 MPH crash, Probably with little damage and no injury."

Now, which one is the statement that best describes the actual capabilities of the ACC? I would guess the second one (even though it is not completely accurate either).

I can also tell you with a high level of certainty that statement # 2 was the result of finding out just how flawed statement # 1 was, triggering the now on-going debate.

As I said before, the debate between myself and Bob was never about anything other than the fact he stated the ACC functioned as a collsion avoidance system, bringing his XLR to a complete stop without touching a stationary object.

That is simply not true. All attempts to delineate attention from that fact are wasted since the system functions exactly as depicted in the owners manual, or at least it does on the 04 models.

Mr XLR
04-21-2005, 09:08 PM
Mswaim is correct, and Let me say this plain and simple, the Adaptive Cruise Control IS NOT and WAS NOT designed as an accident avoidence system.

The system was designed as an enhancement to the traditional cruise control system, not a safety system! It is designed to keep you at a safe following distance while having the Adaptive Cruise activated.

Keep the above information in mind, regardless how you use the system.

www.Cadillac-XLR.com (http://www.Cadillac-XLR.com)

Thank You
Allen

Dozer42
04-22-2005, 01:44 PM
I would suggest that everyone that has posted somthing about the ACC, should have the courage of your conviction and try it out a few times.

Courage would be acting like an adult and admitting you were wrong in the first place. 6mph is not a complete stop in any way, shape, or form. Try telling that to a judge after coming to a complete 6mph stop at a stop sign or red light when you get a ticket.

'But, your honor, 6mph IS a complete stop! I did not have sex with that woman!'

1_XLR
04-22-2005, 02:20 PM
Standby, you claimed the ACC would come to a complete stop, and you now know that it won't. Cut the :bs and get over it!

Mswaim, you know the ACC will not come to a complete stop, what the hell do you care if Standby agrees with you? Cut the :bs and get over it!

Let's move on to something like :rolleyes .........19" vs. 20" wheels :glol

mswaim
04-22-2005, 02:32 PM
Standby, you claimed the ACC would come to a complete stop, and you now know that it won't. Cut the :bs and get over it!

Mswaim, you know the ACC will not come to a complete stop, what the hell do you care if Standby agrees with you? Cut the :bs and get over it!

Let's move on to something like :rolleyes .........19" vs. 20" wheels :glol

You are right, having Bob agree was never the point. The point was making sure no one actually tried to mimic his foolish behavior without knowing the actual capabilities (and limits) of the ACC.

Beyond that point, I'm ready to discuss any subject you feel is worth the effort. BTW - I should have my car back middle of next week.

1_XLR
04-22-2005, 03:21 PM
You are right, having Bob agree was never the point. The point was making sure no one actually tried to mimic his foolish behavior without knowing the actual capabilities (and limits) of the ACC.

Beyond that point, I'm ready to discuss any subject you feel is worth the effort. BTW - I should have my car back middle of next week.

Appreciate that, but I think MOST of us got the point a long time ago!

seems like a long time to have a window replaced,
are they doing anything else?

mswaim
04-22-2005, 07:37 PM
The issue for the dealer was not the window itself, it's a portion of the mechanism that was found to be damaged and bent beyond specs. The factory is overnighting the parts, but it took them a day or so to troubleshoot the problem. The dealer is also detailing the vehicle, inside and out, changing the oil and checking on a few other little issues since its there for the duration.

Caly
04-25-2005, 06:33 AM
Yep. 6mph the cruise becomes inactive, but continues to nag until you do something.

I would be happy if the active cruise could be switched between that and standard. I have been in many circumstances where "standard" would have been more pleasant.

standby
04-25-2005, 03:56 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_11.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk572YYUS) I gree. We just buy a new V and we don't have to deal with this thread anymore. No more ACC

Yep. 6mph the cruise becomes inactive, but continues to nag until you do something.

I would be happy if the active cruise could be switched between that and standard. I have been in many circumstances where "standard" would have been more pleasant.

harrysxlr
04-26-2005, 03:46 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_11.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk572YYUS) I gree. We just buy a new V and we don't have to deal with this thread anymore. No more ACC

As some of you know Harry or Hans (thats me) :yesnod does not 70 80 90 or 100mph on the highway - no
IŽm doing 180 200 240 or even 278 kph on the german autobahn and that`s why I never use my ACC.

I only used it for a friend named Bob ;) to see how it works and when it completely
shut off, that was at 10 kph or 6 mph, this guy Bob had the same result :iagree

But one thing to the V, the speedo with 160 mph (us-version) or 260 kph (export-version) not high enough. Even on my just ....XLR :( my analog stops at 260 kph only my HUD shows the 278 kph ( the highest I had it till now.

But what`s then with the XLR V, I`ll think it really goes 175 mph what would be 281 kph plus the speedo-error for about 5-7% what means close to 300 kph.???

Cadillac had to do it the same as they did on the CTS V, in there is a 180 mph speedo and this is what the XLR V and STS V needs too.

I have to laugh about the new VW GTI, this thing goes 234 kph and has a 300 speedo in it. That`s for me just a joke but the speedo should go as far as the top speed of the car is. Don`t you guys think so???? :grouphug

Maybe the export XLR V got the right speedo for "Harry Hans" in it :D so I can tell you all how fast it runs, as I did with my XLR.

Harry Hans

1_XLR
04-26-2005, 08:52 AM
Harry,
U.S. cars are governed not to exceed 155 MPH. I"ve only one time been able to push it to 156, but normally it will hold steady at 155. It's not an issue of a larger speedometer, they intentionally shut it down. Most likely it's the maximum speed the tires are rated for. I expect the V will be the same.

harrysxlr
04-26-2005, 09:20 AM
[QUOTE=1_XLR]Harry,
U.S. cars are governed not to exceed 155 MPH. I"ve only one time been able to push it to 156, but normally it will hold steady at 155. It's not an issue of a larger speedometer, they intentionally shut it down. Most likely it's the maximum speed the tires are rated for. I expect the V will be the same.[/QUOTE

No 1 XLR, you say U.S. cars are governed to 155 mph. My 02 Vette conv. 6 speed with corsa exhaust is doing 304 kmh (189 mph) by speedo. (error incl.)
The fastest I had my XLR was 278 kph ( 172 mph) but as I sayd, the analog speedo stops at 260 kph only the HUD showed me the 278 kph. Maybe the export models are not speed-limited.
BTW the CTS v, also an U.S. automobile runs real 164 mph - it`s also not limited.

ZR or WR tires are made for speed over 250 kph (over 155 mph)

Thanks

Harry

Caly
04-26-2005, 09:33 AM
[QUOTE=1_XLR]Harry,
U.S. cars are governed not to exceed 155 MPH. I"ve only one time been able to push it to 156, but normally it will hold steady at 155. It's not an issue of a larger speedometer, they intentionally shut it down. Most likely it's the maximum speed the tires are rated for. I expect the V will be the same.[/QUOTE

No 1 XLR, you say U.S. cars are governed to 155 mph. My 02 Vette conv. 6 speed with corsa exhaust is doing 304 kmh (189 mph) by speedo. (error incl.)
The fastest I had my XLR was 278 kph ( 172 mph) but as I sayd, the analog speedo stops at 260 kph only the HUD showed me the 278 kph. Maybe the export models are not speed-limited.
BTW the CTS v, also an U.S. automobile runs real 164 mph - it`s also not limited.

ZR or WR tires are made for speed over 250 kph (over 155 mph)

Thanks

Harry
The US XLR is speed limited. Probably as noted due to tire limitations. The top speed on my US Corvette is listed at 176... I have no doubts it will do that and then some.

Limited speed is not a US thing.

1_XLR
04-26-2005, 10:16 AM
Harry, I am refering to the XLR (scroll to the top and see "XLR Forum")
and it is limited to 155 in the US.

I don't know about export models.......
Is the car limiting you or is your foot??

I don't think....Stock run flats are ZR or WR rated.

harrysxlr
04-26-2005, 10:47 AM
Harry, I am refering to the XLR (scroll to the top and see "XLR Forum")
and it is limited to 155 in the US.

I don't know about export models.......
Is the car limiting you or is your foot??

Stock run flats are not ZR or WR rated.

Hi, 1 XLR, I just went out into my garage and took a look at my tires

235 ZR 50 - 18 97 W - Michelin run flat

and I know your tires in the U.S. are the same!!!!

Isn`t the Vette or a CTS V an U.S. automobile?????? Only because you sayd that all U.S. cars are limited to 155 mph.?

Did your XLR at 156 mph shut off?????

Harry

harrysxlr
04-26-2005, 11:01 AM
The US XLR is speed limited. Probably as noted due to tire limitations. The top speed on my US Corvette is listed at 176... I have no doubts it will do that and then some.

Limited speed is not a US thing.

Hi Caly,
IŽm sure your Vette (think it`s the aniversary model beside your xenon blue xlr)
will do by speedo 185 mph.

I tested last year a CTS V on I 75 from Naples to Miami and got it by speedo to 179 mph (no limiter there (US model) BTW I did 60 miles in 21 minutes.

Thanks

Harry

1_XLR
04-26-2005, 12:08 PM
Harry,
U.S. cars are governed not to exceed 155 MPH. I"ve only one time been able to push it to 156, but normally it will hold steady at 155. It's not an issue of a larger speedometer, they intentionally shut it down. Most likely it's the maximum speed the tires are rated for. I expect the V will be the same.

let me try this again.....
XLRs in the USA are governed not to exceed 155 MPH. A speedometer that reads 160 is sufficient if the car will not exceed 155 MPH Most likely it's the maximum speed the tires are rated for.....but maybe not! I expect the V will be the same.

it was interesting to hear from you that export XLRs (as opposed to U.S. cars) will do 172 MPH, possibly more, and therefore not governed. I was responding to your question as to why then your speedometer did not go high enough.

harrysxlr
04-26-2005, 12:26 PM
let me try this again.....
XLRs in the USA are governed not to exceed 155 MPH. A speedometer that reads 160 is sufficient if the car will not exceed 155 MPH Most likely it's the maximum speed the tires are rated for.....but maybe not! I expect the V will be the same.

it was interesting to hear from you that export XLRs (as opposed to U.S. cars) will do 172 MPH, possibly more, and therefore not governed. I was responding to your question as to why then your speedometer did not go high enough.

1 XLR the analog speedometer stops at 260 kph and exactly 260 kph but the car is still getting faster and this you only can see on your HEAD UP DISPLAY because the digitel speedo in the HUD doesn`t stop at 260 kph.

I took a look at the US XLR`s and I know they have the same tires on as mine.

again 235/50 ZR 18 97 W - michelin run flat ZR= 280 kph and faster

Well, in aug IŽll be in the US and I test drive a US-XLR to see if I get it faster than 155 mph. My thinking is, that it will go to 160 and like on mine the HUD will go even further.

But we`ll see

Harry

Dozer42
04-26-2005, 07:12 PM
Actually your Vette is going to top out at about 174-176 (indicated). Why? Because that's where you run out of RPMS in 5th gear, and 6th gear is too tall for the car to pull (with a stock, or nearly stock C5 engine). No way it could hit 189 or close to it unless the gearing is different (either tranny or rear end).

My C5 on the other hand did well over 200mph (indicated). Not sure how much over because the US Speedo maxes out at 200, and the HUD just flashes '00' once you pass 200mph. (My C5 is heavily modified and pushes over 700hp).

Seems kinda silly that the C5 is top speed limited due to an overly tall 6th gear, but that's also how it pulls 25mpg, easily 5mpg over my Lexus. Pretty darned good for an old 'pushrod' engine. =)

harrysxlr
04-27-2005, 01:22 AM
Actually your Vette is going to top out at about 174-176 (indicated). Why? Because that's where you run out of RPMS in 5th gear, and 6th gear is too tall for the car to pull (with a stock, or nearly stock C5 engine). No way it could hit 189 or close to it unless the gearing is different (either tranny or rear end).

My C5 on the other hand did well over 200mph (indicated). Not sure how much over because the US Speedo maxes out at 200, and the HUD just flashes '00' once you pass 200mph. (My C5 is heavily modified and pushes over 700hp).

Seems kinda silly that the C5 is top speed limited due to an overly tall 6th gear, but that's also how it pulls 25mpg, easily 5mpg over my Lexus. Pretty darned good for an old 'pushrod' engine. =)

Hi Dozer42,

you are so right, the LS1 is such a good engine, with real big power and real good fuel economy. :thumbs

Before I bought my XLR I thought the fuel economy on this would be much higher than on my Vette - it`s a little higher - I was surprised.

Wow your C5 with 700 horses - that`s it :flag

Thanks

Harry

1_XLR
04-27-2005, 09:20 AM
So Harry I have to ask......
Have you actually had your vette to 189???
......and have you actually been over 155 in your XLR???

I wonder if exports are governed like US cars :rolleyes

harrysxlr
04-27-2005, 11:02 AM
So Harry I have to ask......
Have you actually had your vette to 189???
......and have you actually been over 155 in your XLR???

I wonder if exports are governed like US cars :rolleyes

Hi 1 XLR, first, you got real nice wheels on your crimson-pearl :thumbs I like them!

second: yes, the fastest I had my vette was in km 304 shown on speedo. (189 mph)

third: my german speedo which goes to 260 kph (156 mph) don`t go further but on my HUD I brought my XLR to 278 kph.

I drove this top-speeds in my vette and my xlr. My DTS is limited to 210 kph ( 130 mph) wished it had no limiter in there because this car has the cabability for more than 210 kph. My DTS got the HR tires which are good for 210 kph and this is what it does.

Tomorow IŽll drive a CTS V here in germany in Essen, I just got invited from Kroymans ( the european importer for GM cars) IŽll let you know this weekend what top speed I get out of it.

Thanks

Harry

standby
04-27-2005, 01:22 PM
Harry,

I realize you deal with KPH's in Germany as do most of Europe, I was wondering if you could keep your information in MPH's, as 95% of the members here are USA based, which as you know is what we deal with. It would make the posts a little easier to write as well as read..........Just a suggestion, Bob:grouphug
Hi 1 XLR, first, you got real nice wheels on your crimson-pearl :thumbs I like them!

second: yes, the fastest I had my vette was in km 304 shown on speedo. (189 mph)

third: my german speedo which goes to 260 kph (156 mph) don`t go further but on my HUD I brought my XLR to 278 kph.

I drove this top-speeds in my vette and my xlr. My DTS is limited to 210 kph ( 130 mph) wished it had no limiter in there because this car has the cabability for more than 210 kph. My DTS got the HR tires which are good for 210 kph and this is what it does.

Tomorow IŽll drive a CTS V here in germany in Essen, I just got invited from Kroymans ( the european importer for GM cars) IŽll let you know this weekend what top speed I get out of it.

Thanks

Harry