In-Dash Nav do MP3? [Archive] - Cadillac XLR Forum: XLR and XLR-V Forums

: In-Dash Nav do MP3?

deadringer
02-24-2005, 06:03 PM
The new STS's in-dash nav system will play MP3's... so will the in-dash nav on the new C6 corvette.

I can't find any info that says that the XLR does or does not play mp3's burned to CD and put in the changer.

Does anyone know?

Eyedoc
02-25-2005, 09:36 AM
I have not tried personally, but can't hurt to try.

There was a previous thread wuite a while back that talked about self-burned CD's and DVD's. Can't recall whether they talked about MP3 or not.

1_XLR
02-25-2005, 12:00 PM
http://www.xlrforum.com/showthread.php?p=4920#post4920

deadringer
02-25-2005, 08:00 PM
Actually, I'm planning on pre-ordering an XLR-V but just want to know what my options are in playing MP3's since I really don't want to use an iPod with an FM transmitter - yuck.

standby
02-26-2005, 11:18 AM
Why not just use Satellite radio. It's got the best of all worlds.Actually, I'm planning on pre-ordering an XLR-V but just want to know what my options are in playing MP3's since I really don't want to use an iPod with an FM transmitter - yuck.

deadringer
03-01-2005, 11:54 PM
There have been lots of discussions about both XM and Sirrius, and they don't have the same sonic quality as MP3's... it mainly has to do with the sharp freq roll-off above 15khz - basically is doesn't sound as good as 128kbps MP3... furthermore, I want to play music I want to hear, not what the DJ's at XM play.

Since nobody is suggesting that the XLR can play MP3's I'm assuming it can't.

aviator
03-02-2005, 01:51 PM
Actually, I'm planning on pre-ordering an XLR-V but just want to know what my options are in playing MP3's since I really don't want to use an iPod with an FM transmitter - yuck.

Just when I was getting warmed up to the idea..... What is to "yuck" about with an iPod and an XM transmitter?

deadringer
03-04-2005, 12:09 PM
Ipod over FM Transmitter - its horrible... it sounds bad, it doesn't work most of the time... and if you do happen to get it to work, don't drive too far as another strong FM station might just clobber your music.

XM - XM's and Sirrius's fidelity is horrible... yes its digital, yes there's no static or fade... but it sounds like a cassette tape, there's no high end at all... I have an XM deck at home with optical SPDIF out - I've analyzed the audio extensively and I've worked with other XM fans out there to figure out whats going on... there's simply nothing above 15khz and sounds lousy.. if you happen to like Jazz and Classical you get a better bitrate on those channels, but they still lack anything above 15k and sound like they were put on cassette first. This is not new and is common complaint among folks who listen to XM on a nice stereo - typically not a big deal on a boombox or an inexpensive stock car deck.

Caly
03-04-2005, 12:30 PM
XM - XM's and Sirrius's fidelity is horrible... yes its digital, yes there's no static or fade... but it sounds like a cassette tape, there's no high end at all... I have an XM deck at home with optical SPDIF out - I've analyzed the audio extensively and I've worked with other XM fans out there to figure out whats going on... there's simply nothing above 15khz and sounds lousy.. if you happen to like Jazz and Classical you get a better bitrate on those channels, but they still lack anything above 15k and sound like they were put on cassette first. This is not new and is common complaint among folks who listen to XM on a nice stereo - typically not a big deal on a boombox or an inexpensive stock car deck.
I've certainly noticed this... I will not be renewing XM. Back to the CD's.

standby
03-04-2005, 07:00 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW horsie:grouphug

I'm not into the how's of why things sound good but I do read my XLR books every month just to see if I missed something.......and I always learn something new.
When your on XM, go into your sound adjustments, add base, treble to your own settings and SAVE every channel just as you like it. It just doesn't save all channels the same. You can save every channel with different settings. It took me a long time to get my XM sounding good.
I'm not arguing the quality.............I agree, but we do have options.
Bob:yesnod

I've certainly noticed this... I will not be renewing XM. Back to the CD's.

Dadonator
03-05-2005, 04:05 PM
I find it unbelievable that GM's absolute, top of the line, most expensive car does not come with old, cheap, highly desirable MP3 capability.
:cuss

To add insult to injury, the cheaper STS has it? I know its 1 year newer, but this technology has been around for years--there really is no acceptable explanation for this HUGE omission!
:mad

Every time I get tired of my 6 CD's, this annoys me! I can't imagine what it would take to upgrade the stereo in the XLR, with the computer/voice control etc.--I'm sure that will never be an option!
:banghead

[Don't worry, I still love my XLR, despite this HUGE irritation!]
:yesnod

--Bob

deadringer
03-16-2005, 11:39 AM
When your on XM, go into your sound adjustments, add base, treble to your own settings and SAVE every channel just as you like it. It just doesn't save all channels the same. You can save every channel with different settings. It took me a long time to get my XM sounding good.
I'm not arguing the quality.............I agree, but we do have options.
Bob:yesnod

This is not about "tweaking" the audio settings of the radio... thats post-processing... you simply can't create something thats not there - if there's nothing about 15khz, then boosting anything there would result in - wait for it - nothing boosted.

My point is that XM is not a replacement for MP3 playback - its purely just something nice to have in addition to FM/AM/CD/DVD/MP3.

standby
03-16-2005, 04:48 PM
..................and I would like to know why all the whining. Would you guys like some cheese & crackers with that wine? Sounds like woman trying to change their man after they told him he was just what she was looking for.
I guess it must be like comparing Plasma screens to a old big screen. I can see that, but sounds at 80 MPH really doesn't effect me.:grouphug

This is not about "tweaking" the audio settings of the radio... thats post-processing... you simply can't create something thats not there - if there's nothing about 15khz, then boosting anything there would result in - wait for it - nothing boosted.

My point is that XM is not a replacement for MP3 playback - its purely just something nice to have in addition to FM/AM/CD/DVD/MP3.