Sound System - Lack of Volume [Archive] - Cadillac XLR Forum: XLR and XLR-V Forums

: Sound System - Lack of Volume

Bill N
10-23-2004, 04:02 AM
This one is a little strange and haven't taken it to the dealer yet. Wondering if anyone else has the same problem.

I've noticed that the maximum volume when listening to an FM station is great (will shake the car).
When playing a "store bought" CD max volume is good but less than when on an FM station
When playing a "copied" CD max volume is deminished and no longer "rocks"

When playing an XM station max volume is really poor. When travelling on the highway I can have the volume set to the max and it's just a hair above what I would call normal.

I'm not as young as I used to be but I don't think I'm loosing my hearing (yet)

motorboat
10-23-2004, 06:37 AM
Now it should NOT make any difference on the VOLUME but did you go into CD, FM 2 & XM and set up the speakers to the same setting as the FM 1 setting?

I think you don't have the speakers set to "spacious" on the other bands.
You have to set up ALL speakers to all bands not just one.

Also you have to do this for both drivers and hit the save button on the seat for that driver.

Hope this helps some.

Blaise :thumbs

Mr XLR
10-23-2004, 04:25 PM
Blaise is correct on having you pressi the Musical Note button above the volume control first, then set all your defaults. Also there was an extensive string regarding volume controls of the radio. The XM portion of the volume is greatly controlled by each individual station that sends the feed through XM. That is why you see such a great variance from Am/Fm to XM.

www.Cadillac-XLR.com (http://www.Cadillac-XLR.com)

Thank You
Allen

alk3997
10-25-2004, 12:24 PM
This link is for one of the threads on this topic:

http://www.xlrforum.com/showthread.php?t=467

Bill N
10-25-2004, 07:52 PM
Thanks to all for the help. I can live with the lower volume for now but it's not a factor with the portable XM receiver that I have in my other vehicle. It functions through the cassett deck in my Audi and it relies on the Bose system for volume and balance. XM may put out a lower volume than FM stations but I believe I may still have a problem. I doubt the dealer will agree but I'll find out next time it's in for service. Will let you know the outcome :seeya

alk3997
10-26-2004, 11:43 AM
Thanks to all for the help. I can live with the lower volume for now but it's not a factor with the portable XM receiver that I have in my other vehicle. It functions through the cassett deck in my Audi and it relies on the Bose system for volume and balance. XM may put out a lower volume than FM stations but I believe I may still have a problem. I doubt the dealer will agree but I'll find out next time it's in for service. Will let you know the outcome :seeya

From what I've heard the referenced service bulletin just says that the volume difference is normal.

Basically, everything should be referenced to a standard audio level, which in many systems is 0dB. This 0dB level could then correspond to a known voltage level which could then be sent to your amplifier. This way all signals would result in the same output level. Pretty simple...

Unfortunately the real world doesn't work that way. If I have a audio that is really low, like a soft violin piece, I have multiple choices. I can record it at that level and say this is the way it should sound but then also have noise issues. Or, I can move the level up so it is about the same as other recordings. Or, I can move it as loud as possible so it fully takes advantage of the recording's dynamic range and allow the listener to lower the volume if they choose. All of the above are valid but they all produce different volume levels. A claim can also be made that all of the above are properly calibrated at 0dB.

Compounding this is audio compression (not to be confused with bit-level compression). As I reduce the difference between the lowest volume sound and the highest volume sound, the sound becomes more compressed. Your ears perceive highly compressed sound as louder versus large dynamic ranges. So, what appears to be louder (like FM radio - usually very compressed) may not actually be louder than a CD (usually the least amount of compression, if any at all).

One more factor is that for digital transmissions, the worst thing you can do is attempt to go beyond the highest level. Since there is nothing beyond all '1's' you get a flat line which rougly sounds like your speakers are being ripped apart. In the digital world it is much better to be too soft than too loud. You also don't want to send a signal to the amplifier that could cause the amplifier to clip. I don't see that as likely with the XLR since the CD player does fine.

What does it all mean in terms of the XM radio's volume? Well first it means this isn't an easy problem. XM, while audio compressed, is not as highly compressed as FM, so some level difference is to be expected. I also think that the XM level is lower than it should be - I suspect the analog output voltage from the XM receiver to the amplifier is slightly low. However without understanding the system it is hard to say.

Anyway, just thought I'd write a few paragraphs to help explain some of the issues. I've left a lot out such as input voltages to amplifiers and equalization, etc.

Andy

Dr. Bob
10-26-2004, 03:21 PM
Hi Bill, Almost like adding "reverberation'
You will find that the sound in the kockpit ( both stereo and hands-free phone) will be augmented by using a WINDBAFFLE. It will reduce back-draft turbulence, eliminate wind roar and contain the heat with windows partially up on cool days.
It really does work and it is invisible - especially the deluxe model.
www.Windbaffle.com :flag

Bill N
10-27-2004, 04:16 AM
Ordered the delux wind baffle eight days ago. Still haven't received it. Must be coming by pony express.

Was very disappointed to learn that the baffle only comes with Black Velcro. The baffle is to be functional only and I wanted it to be invisible. Black velcro on a brown roll bar is not my idea of invisible or attractive.

We'll see (if it ever arrives) :banghead

motorboat
10-27-2004, 06:35 AM
Some love them some say they are so, so.

I have not heard anyone talk about this NEW one "deluxe" yet. I keep hoping they get all the bugs worked out and or someone else comes up with a new one. It would be nice if the straps would match the covers on the roll bars.

You got the XLR forum discount right?

Blaise :flag

Bill N
10-27-2004, 09:27 AM
Yes I received the discount but as of now I haven't received the baffle. I'll post what I think of it once I receive and install it

BUDSVET
10-27-2004, 08:34 PM
I installed the baffel and one thing you will find is that cleaning rags will leave rag strips :cool on the straps that hold the baffel. A pain in the ass.to clean off.

fredw
10-28-2004, 09:13 PM
I appreciate the availability of the baffel, however I don't really think this is the proper forum to post "advertisements" for it at every opportunity. Bob, your consumers will come to you.... besides isn't there a whole discussion on the merits of the wind baffle?

Bill N
10-29-2004, 03:29 PM
Hi Bill, Almost like adding "reverberation'
You will find that the sound in the kockpit ( both stereo and hands-free phone) will be augmented by using a WINDBAFFLE. It will reduce back-draft turbulence, eliminate wind roar and contain the heat with windows partially up on cool days.
It really does work and it is invisible - especially the deluxe model.
www.Windbaffle.com :flag

I received the windbaffle today and installed it in minutes (just as advertised) took the car out for a spin and it works (just like the add says) but I'm afraid that the windbaffle is going to be returned for a refund. As we all know XLR's do not come cheap and I don't think one should have to look at crappy black velcro straps on a brown interior. My XLR has the platinum nickel exterior with a light brown interior. All you can see are these god awful six black straps. Sorry, I'd rather put up with the wind, reverberation, cold, blowing hats and so on before I spoil the look that I paid so much to acquire :nopity

motorboat
10-29-2004, 08:31 PM
Bill N.,

I am with you sort of here.
I have been looking & waiting for someone to make one that "First" works & "Second" looks like it belongs on an XLR not just an after thought.

BUTTTTTT if this one works "now all we have to do is make it look like it belongs there" you might want to go down to a trim shop in your home town and see if they have some velcro that matches or if they can make you a strap that is the same type/color as your interior.
They might be able to make the strap with a buckel or snaps.

Dr. Bob you might want to look into some kind of strap that would match the interior of these cars. The XLR's don't come in that many colors..
From what I hear the new deluxe model is working fine. NOW you have to make look like it belongs there.. :thumbs

Blaise

aviator
10-29-2004, 08:41 PM
Have Astros hat. Will motor. :)

I could be talked into the Deluxe Windbaffel if it matched my interior. :thumbs

motorboat
10-29-2004, 08:52 PM
Astros got very, very close this year...:party Go Astros!!!!!

So if they can get that close then Dr. Bob should be able to get closer with the looks. Come on Bob make ME a believer... :rolleyes

Bill N
10-30-2004, 04:20 AM
Motorboat

For $220 I expect the product to come with the right material and I think it's Dr. Bob that should be going to the trim shop to obtain the right color Velcro. I've already boxed it for return (will have to eat the $35.00 shipping charges)and will wait for a baffle that works and "comes complete". Dr, Bob's office says they have Velcro straps in Black, White or "Hot Pink" :puke Gimmie a break!

I found colored straps on line at Textol Systems, Inc. I wonder why Dr. Bob couldn't