tires [Archive] - Cadillac XLR Forum: XLR and XLR-V Forums

: tires

devo
02-16-2003, 01:48 PM
what tires are on the XLR?
are they runflats? or does it come with a jack and a spare?

Nomad
02-16-2003, 03:12 PM
Good question. I would assume run-flats though.

Troy Roberts
02-18-2003, 09:02 AM
I like the convenience of run flats, but I traded them out on my 'vette. They ride too rough and don't handle as well as non-run flats.

Are other luxury cars using run flats?

Nomad
02-22-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Troy Roberts
I like the convenience of run flats, but I traded them out on my 'vette. They ride too rough and don't handle as well as non-run flats.

I still have run-craps on my C5. My C4 has Goodyear Eagle F1 SC's, the Midyear has Goodyear Eagles as well. When the run-craps die I might switch them out too. What do you do with your air pressure sensor?

Are other luxury cars using run flats?

Yes the MB does.

Troy Roberts
02-22-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Nomad
What do you do with your air pressure sensor?

The sensors still work. The only problem is if you see it dropping like a rock! That has happened to me but at least I was close to home.

I carry a patch kit, fix-a-flat, and a tire inflator. I'd prefer to have a small spare to get home on.

Nomad
02-22-2003, 09:08 PM
The sensors still work. The only problem is if you see it dropping like a rock! That has happened to me but at least I was close to home.

I carry a patch kit, fix-a-flat, and a tire inflator. I'd prefer to have a small spare to get home on.

Doesn't Fix-A-Flat ruin the sensor? What if the tire goes flat and you mess up the sensor and/or rim? It sure is convenient not to have to worry with all that but you sacrifice traction for it. Catch 22. :(

Troy Roberts
02-22-2003, 09:19 PM
Fix-a-Flat would ruin the sensor. Hopefully I won't have to use it.

There is definitely a huge drawback to running tires that can go flat when you don't have a spare! :) I may be sorry for it one day but I really wanted the better tires. They improved my time at the autocross at last year's corvetteforum cruise-in.

Troy Roberts
02-24-2003, 02:04 PM
I found this in a Forbes review of the XLR.

"It will also get a fully retractable metal hardtop and run-flat Michelin tires."

logansowner
02-24-2003, 08:05 PM

I carry a patch kit, fix-a-flat, and a tire inflator. I'd prefer to have a small spare to get home on. :iagree I would love to have the insurance of runflats, but I noticed on a Vette I tested before upgrading to my Z that they didn't have nearly the traction as non RF tires. I still don't know why they can't make them with decent traction, but since I spend a lot of time at the track I decided the tradoff was worth it:cheers

However, I am sure they will make them better withing a couple years:cheers

Nomad
02-27-2003, 10:30 AM
I found this in a Forbes review of the XLR.

"It will also get a fully retractable metal hardtop and run-flat Michelin tires."

I sort of figured they would get that option being a sport sedan.

alk3997
10-28-2003, 10:42 AM
Attached is a photo of a runflat tire on a production-level XLR at David Taylor Cadillac (Houston). The tire labeling is somewhat visible. This was the front driver's side tire.

One interesting item is the XLR logo on the brakes (much like the Corvette brake labeling).

upstate
08-14-2005, 10:37 AM
I don't know there is more writing on that tire than I read in a week.