Dealer Tech Service [Archive] - Cadillac XLR Forum: XLR and XLR-V Forums

: Dealer Tech Service

PlatXLR04
09-06-2004, 05:51 AM
As most can see now I am an early riser, coffee drinker, internet user who is stuck on this forum post XLR purchase - anyho - I have had some top problems - back in the shop - given that most Cadillac dealers only get a small allocation of XLRs (say 2 to 10 cars per year) I was wondering what your experiences have been regarding technical service (beyond oil changes). My dealer told me they have 2 techs that went to school for the XLR service however my current top retraction problem has them stumped - has anyone had engine or other mechanical issues (I have seen the oil leak thread) - I am wondering if these guys truly have solid training behind them or if everytime you go back for more "hardcore service" it yields a puzzled look and head0-scratch. :cuss

Robin
09-06-2004, 05:12 PM
The folks on the service side where I bought my XLR seem to know the car well. At the time I bought mine they had sold 6 XLR's. And top malfuctions are the only problems that they have encounter. Other than my Gear Oil Leak. And A thottle control module Also on my XLR. The thottle control module would hold the RPM's at 3000rpm no matter what you did. Then it clear it self and hasn't happen again. The dealer could find no error code. So just to be safe they changed the Thottle control module and the foot feed module. My wife was driving the XLR and I was in the pass seat. And she said to me that she was applying a lot of break pressure to keep the XLR from roller Foward at to stop lights. Of couse the breaks got quite hot. enough to see smoke coming for the left front. This happen the day we pick the XLR up. I have just over 3100 miles on the Car now. A vacation has put most of the miles on the car. The car preform flawless on the Vacation. 27 miles to the gallon. and 70% of the driving was in the desert, With temps in the 110 to 115 degree range.

mlbpbg
09-20-2004, 12:53 PM
As most can see now I am an early riser, coffee drinker, internet user who is stuck on this forum post XLR purchase - anyho - I have had some top problems - back in the shop - given that most Cadillac dealers only get a small allocation of XLRs (say 2 to 10 cars per year) I was wondering what your experiences have been regarding technical service (beyond oil changes). My dealer told me they have 2 techs that went to school for the XLR service however my current top retraction problem has them stumped - has anyone had engine or other mechanical issues (I have seen the oil leak thread) - I am wondering if these guys truly have solid training behind them or if everytime you go back for more "hardcore service" it yields a puzzled look and head0-scratch. :cuss

I purchased my 2004 in May. Since then the top got stuck, seems to be a common problem. The car was out of service for 26 days awaiting a retool of the top sensor. Since then the adaptive cruise control has gone down along with the A/C which keeps whatever temp it wants and the seats do not cool to 15 degrees below ambient temp (as per the manual and the sales literature). The car has been in the shop now for another 27 days and I, for one, have had enough. The dealer I go to has only one tech to work on the car and he has been AWOL for two weeks, Going to arbitration next week. Good luck to you other owners

Robin
09-20-2004, 01:45 PM
Be interested in how the Arbitration turns out. As I am headed in that direction too. Have written a letter to GM with copys to the Dealer. They currently Have my XLR for the Third time Same PROBLEM. However this time they said it is a axel seal. And what caused the Axel seal to go bad was all the times they have had the Transaxel Assy in and out.

mlbpbg
09-21-2004, 02:43 PM
I'll keep you posted. The hearing is 9/30

mlbpbg
11-18-2004, 05:44 AM
Just a note, GM repurchased the vehicle. Shame since a simply resolution would have been to send a field rep to look at the car as it was in the shop for 52 days in the first three months. Oh well, to Lexus I go. Bye

Robin
11-18-2004, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the Update

Cadillac Has resolved all the problems with my XLR. But did get closed to a Repurchase. The bone they fed me was Extenting the Warrenty. Robin

mswaim
11-18-2004, 08:41 AM
It's always sad to see problems such as these, however in every production run there are a few vehicles that simply do not live up to the expectations of the owners for whatever reasons. What's even sadder is the cars are bought back, repaired and re-sold to new owners who often-times enjoy a long and happy partnership with the recycled vehicle.

Good luck with Lexus......been there, done that, never, ever again. :flag :flag

rick1827
11-18-2004, 09:30 AM
Just a note, GM repurchased the vehicle. Shame since a simply resolution would have been to send a field rep to look at the car as it was in the shop for 52 days in the first three months. Oh well, to Lexus I go. Bye

You will be disapointed in the Lexus. Their convertible rates near the bottem in every comparison including quality. MB is worst. I just bought a S 55 AMG. The sticker is over 113K. I had it for 3 weeks. They had it for 2 of those. You would not believe the list of problems including an explosing cup holder and the A-pillar trip falling off.

Robin
11-18-2004, 10:57 AM
It's always sad to see problems such as these, however in every production run there are a few vehicles that simply do not live up to the expectations of the owners for whatever reasons. What's even sadder is the <A TITLE="Click for more information about <A TITLE="Click for more information about <A TITLE="Click for more information about car" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||cars|AA1VDw">car</A>" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||cars|AA1VDw">car</A>" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||cars|AA1VDw">car</A>s are bought back, repaired and re-sold to new owners who often-times enjoy a long and happy partnership with the recycled vehicle.

Good luck with Lexus......been there, done that, never, ever again. :flag :flag Could have not said it Better