Gas cap [Archive] - Cadillac XLR Forum: XLR and XLR-V Forums

: Gas cap

Terry_Fiskin
06-10-2004, 09:16 AM
Is anyone else having the dash computer tell you your gas tank cap needs to be checked?? I have had it happen several times. After it comes on the check engine light comes on and stays on until the dealer goes in with the OB2 reader and clears the code. Any great Ideas??

But the cap is loosing up after a fill up and was checked by the dealer. Thsy now have ordered a new cap. Lets Hope they guessed right...

alk3997
06-10-2004, 04:02 PM
Sorry, never had that happen.

It sounds like the system is responding properly to a loose gas cap. Since your gas cap isn't loose, the question is what is causing the system to think it is?

DANB1040
06-12-2004, 09:37 AM
I am having the same problem, my cap will pull out even after clicking closed. I have to keep trying it until it stays in when pulled on. I'll be replacing the cap next week. The light will go out when the cap is good & the ignition switch is cycled for a few days.

mswaim
06-14-2004, 09:04 AM
I had my first experience with this issue yesterday. I fueled the car several days ago, however while driving around town yesterday the prompt appeared asking me to check the gas cap. It did not appear loose, however I rotated it a click or two and when I re-started the car the prompt disappeared.

Eyedoc
06-14-2004, 10:07 AM
Wonder if there is a sensativity setting for this sensor?

migsgig
06-14-2004, 11:30 AM
In a peroid of 48 hours, my brakes are squealing louder than ever, my gas cap light came on, my top got stuck half way down and couldn't drive for about an hour, my yellow security light came on ( looks like a lock with profile of car). My map light from review mirror turned on and didn't turn off!! Help!!!
Has anyone had similar experience!!
miguel

mswaim
06-14-2004, 07:08 PM
Miguel, I think your car is haunted.............seriously, sounds like a rough time, I hope you have a good service department close by. I bought mine from one dealer, however I prefer to take it for service to a dealer two hours away simply because they have a better-trained staff of technicians. Good luck. :thumbs

Scissors
06-15-2004, 12:14 PM
Does the manual say to turn it three clicks or one? :confused

Clark Chapin
06-17-2004, 06:35 AM
The problem is often due to the fact that if you push on the cap while turning, you can get the cap to click (once, three times, or as much as you want) without actually turning the thread lug. Try it yourself. Push while you're turning and then tug gently on the cap and it will come loose.
A gentle touch works best.

OttoNP
08-16-2004, 06:02 PM
Anyone have the problem again after a new cap is installed?