Parking Assist - DVD Play [Archive] - Cadillac XLR Forum: XLR and XLR-V Forums

: Parking Assist - DVD Play

Eyedoc
05-10-2004, 09:31 AM
Had the XLR 2 weeks and one major thing does not seem to work.

The Parking Assist on beeps once when you put it in reverse (no repeating beeps, nor light on the dash??) Options is set to "On".

Anyone else have any issues with Parking Assist?

I had the option on a Lincoln Navigator and it worked fine, so I am familiar with the fucntion (it even seems like the same sensor on the bumper).

Also having trouble with playing a DVD. Hitting the Play soft button does not work, you must hit tune and stop then play to get the DVD to start. Sounds like a programming or software thing. Anyone have similar or other issues with DVD? (I did get the hack code to work, once it starts up - don't think I'll use it, as it is distracting).

alk3997
05-10-2004, 01:32 PM
Congrats again on the XLR. Can you provide more info on the park assist?

1) Have you tried it (slowly) backing towards a wall? If so, what were the results?

2) Are you backing up less than 3 MPH (that is the system's limit)? A red LED will light if backing up faster than 3MPH

3) Do any of the amber LEDS light at all?

I didn't see it in your post, but you probably already know that the LEDs are located between the seat backs above the storage bin. There are no lights on the dash.

Hope all that helps.

Eyedoc
05-10-2004, 02:03 PM
Yes, I tried backing up against a wall, only got one beep, then got to within 6 inches and nothing.

I'll have to look for the LED.

I was going probably 1 MPH, nervous about hitting the wall.

alk3997
05-10-2004, 03:00 PM
Good idea (going slow) when backing towards a wall. I was the same way.

The LEDs are not in the most convenient place, but if you turn looking towards your right, they are visible. You'll find three LEDs (amber, amber and red). The single chime is all you'll get until you are very close and then you'll get repeating chimes.

Quixotic
05-10-2004, 03:17 PM
Agreed, the placement of the lights stinks. Can't see them in the rear view mirror without moving it, hard to see when turned around... come to think of it, it's hard to turn around.

Mr XLR
05-10-2004, 10:10 PM
EyeDoc
The park assist you are refering to that is turned on is the passenger mirror Parking Asist. It is a feature that is activated when you put your roadster into reverse. It is designed to tilt downwards so you may see hazards that are alongside your XLR when backing up. When you turn the vehicle off or put it in forward gear the mirror will go back to it's memorized position after 5 seconds.

The rear parking assist URPA (Ultra Sonic Rear Parking Assist) is a totally non adjustable system that operates when you shift into rear. the visual panel is located on the upper console (Parade Seat) above the rear storage box. Here is a break down of it's operation.

Shift into reverse you will receive 1 Beep & 1 light

5' (60") from an object you will receive 1 Beep & 1 Amber light if you are going less than 3 mph

2.5' (30") from an object you will receive 2 Amber lights if you are going less than 3 mph

1.5' (18") from an object you will receive multiple Beeps & 2 Amber lights & 1 Red Light if you are going less than 3 mph

.5' (6") from an object you will receive continous Beeps & 2 Amber lights & 1 Red all blinking if you are Light going less than 3 mph

Above 3 mph your system is deactivated and it will flash a constant Red light

If your sensors are covered by mud/snow or damaged it will also flash a constant red light.

EyeDoc, it seems that your dealer not only had a hard time ordering your XM radio they forgot to explain this great system.

Thank you
Allen

www.Cadillac-XLR.com (www.Cadillac-XLR.com)

Eyedoc
05-11-2004, 05:51 AM
Thanks - I followed all the suggestions and it does seem to work as designed.

I think that what was throwing me was that my other car (Navigator) with parking assist was more sensitive, giving you a constant beep at 5 feet, not just one. It also was more sensitive to lateral obstacles.

In any case, thanks for the help. It saved a trip to the dealer.

Eyedoc
05-11-2004, 05:53 AM
Playing a DVD still took a little work.

When hitting the play soft button, it would not play, and kept reverting to pause.

By ttrial and error, I found that hitting stop first and then play got it going.

Anyone else find this?

Is it worth a trip to dealer to try to reprogram? Or is this the way it is supposed to work?

I re-read the manual and saw nothing mentioned.

Quixotic
05-11-2004, 01:18 PM
Because we took advantage of the savings at the end of the model year, we couldn't get the reverse sensors with the seating configuration of Navigator we wanted. So wqe installed an aftermarket one. It speaks the distance in real English and is damn accurate. Five feet, three feet, two feet, one foot and your're gonna crash! Okay, it doesn't really say the last one. We love it and don't know why the big manufacturers don't pick up on it. Sooo much better than interpreting beeps.