power steering reservoir [Archive] - Cadillac XLR Forum: XLR and XLR-V Forums

: power steering reservoir

1_XLR
01-19-2004, 01:30 PM
I lost about 80% of the fluid due to a leak in the seam of the reservoir. It was either leaking when I took delivery, or possibly startd once it heated up for the first time.
(and yes, I did heat it up!)
Not so hard to fix, .....once the part comes in.....
but I coated the whole engine compartment with
a fresh coat of oil!!!!!

Since the service manager could not figure out how to start
the car, and the mechanic asked me to put the top up for him, since he didn't know how and "it could be here for a few weeks waiting for the part"....
I grabbed a quart of oil and took the car home.
Ill let you all know how long the part takes...........

Quixotic
01-19-2004, 05:34 PM
If the service people don't know how to start the car or put the top up, I'd be very wary of having them work on it. Be afraid, be very afraid.

alk3997
01-19-2004, 05:59 PM
I was kind-of thinking the same thing as Quixotic. I'm lucky - my dealer has sold quite a few (relative to XLR production numbers) of the XLR. So, they have one service advisor setup for the XLR customers.

I assume your dealership has an XLR-certified mechanic? There is a separate XLR training program for Goodwrench mechanics.

1_XLR
01-20-2004, 09:25 AM
I did not go to "my" dealer as I was out on the road at the time and this was the closest one open. Costa Mesa, CA which I expected to be more "prepared", however it was on a Saturday.
I started in Long Beach, and their service dept wasn't even open.
I bought mine at a dealer that is about 80 miles from home, anyway, so I still need to locate one which is more convenient in Orange or Riverside County. It is a pretty simple fix, but I'm still waiting to hear on the part