Undersized Tires [Archive] - Cadillac XLR Forum: XLR and XLR-V Forums

: Undersized Tires

stevelsxlr
11-03-2003, 08:16 AM
I am waiting for the delivery of an XLR from Lund Cadillac in Phoenix so I have been following everything XLR for almost a year now. Having read several reviews, the most common complaint seems to be the heavy steering possibly due to undersized tires. Does anyone know whether the car is designed to accept tires larger than those supplied by Cadillac so I can upgrade to a more substantial tire?

Quixotic
11-03-2003, 12:46 PM
By my understanding, you can upgrade the size of your wheels and tires. You will lose the runflat feature and possibly the tire pressure monitoring (I'm told that it can be reconnected).

A wheel manufacturer wanted to borrow our car for the wheel and tire show in Las Vegas this week but having our car sitting where people would sit on it or who knows what was not encouraging -- even though he said we could keep the new wheels, tires and brakes they would have installed. We turned him down and the car is safe at home.

If there was more time, I would have posted to see if anyone here wanted to do it.

Crazeeme64
11-03-2003, 10:11 PM
Good move Quix ... I wouldn't lend mine out (if I had one that is):nono

Quixotic
11-07-2003, 01:48 PM
Steve,

A friend of ours who is also waiting for an XLR, owns a tire shop. He said the frist thing he is going to do when he gets his car is put on bigger tires and rims.

He's next in line at the dealer and is just waiting for his color. He passed on the xenon blue.

I will post pictures as soon as he does his magic.

XLRXTC
11-12-2003, 12:24 PM
I have been working on the wheels for mine. I have seen one black car with 20" wheels. The rear wheels are a 285. Those are too wide and rub on the inside of the car. If you look by your rear wheels you will see the space is fairly narrow due to the top storage. I think a 275 would probably work but I am not sure. I have not had my car available to really measure. The one I have seen had 255's on the front and they looked great and the fit was very good. The wheels were GFG which is a three piece forged wheel. Very nice. Once I get my done I will try and post some info. I am picking the car up tomorrow so that should help speed up the flow of mods.:eek