coolant loss [Archive] - Cadillac XLR Forum: XLR and XLR-V Forums

: coolant loss

jim
02-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Recently, after traveling approximately 600 miles in my 2004 XLR, I experienced a loss of one gallon of coolant from the closed radiator system. The dealer checked the vehicle over and said it was not leaking. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Could there be a problem with the aluminum engine heating up and excpanding and the steel bolts holding the engine heads down causing coolant to escape into the cylinder heads and evaporating during the combustion process?

harrysxlr
02-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Recently, after traveling approximately 600 miles in my 2004 XLR, I experienced a loss of one gallon of coolant from the closed radiator system. The dealer checked the vehicle over and said it was not leaking. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Could there be a problem with the aluminum engine heating up and excpanding and the steel bolts holding the engine heads down causing coolant to escape into the cylinder heads and evaporating during the combustion process?
Hi jim,
I use to drive my XLR much, much faster than you do in the US and my coolant level is allways where it has to be. Never added some coolant. But where is yours gone????? hard to believe!!!!
Harry

1_XLR
02-06-2006, 11:17 AM
when I first got my .04 ....in 04, I had the same problem, loss of fluid and overheating.
The dealer said I had a pinhole in the radiator and replaced it with a new one
.....although I never saw any signs of fluid leak:confused

gb10998
02-06-2006, 03:33 PM
My 05 popped a seam in the radiator and the dealer replaced it. No other problems in this area!:lurk

Caly
02-07-2006, 06:28 AM
I have added coolant twice in about 15000 miles. The XLR does seem to consume more than the Vette at 40000. No signs of leakage.

mahme
02-07-2006, 08:54 AM
I also had to add coolant after 4000km driven in the XLR... At first, the Low Coolant signal appeared perhaps once a week... A couple of weeks later, I got the coolant and took care of the problem, I had to add about 1,5 - 2 litres...

harrysxlr
02-07-2006, 10:32 AM
I also had to add coolant after 4000km driven in the XLR... At first, the Low Coolant signal appeared perhaps once a week... A couple of weeks later, I got the coolant and took care of the problem, I had to add about 1,5 - 2 litres...
Hi mahme, no adds on mine! how the coolant got lost ? radiator?
Harry

mahme
02-08-2006, 10:19 AM
hey Harry,

my guess is that there was very little coolant to start with... I don't think there is a loss problem since the level seems ti have remained stable since I added the coolant... (I had a similar problem with the Power Stearing fluid during the first months, the level was very low and the car was making noise everytime I turned the stearing wheel... have not had a problem with it since adding fluid over a year ago...)

harrysxlr
02-08-2006, 11:47 AM
hey Harry,

my guess is that there was very little coolant to start with... I don't think there is a loss problem since the level seems ti have remained stable since I added the coolant... (I had a similar problem with the Power Stearing fluid during the first months, the level was very low and the car was making noise everytime I turned the stearing wheel... have not had a problem with it since adding fluid over a year ago...)
Hi mahme,
well, I`m glad anything was filled on min properly. I`ve had only add about 1/2 quart of motoroil during the first 5000 km but now I have to add no more oil between services.
Got my V grille today, look at my other post.

Harry