New GPS DVD Version [Archive] - Cadillac XLR Forum: XLR and XLR-V Forums

: New GPS DVD Version

XLRcited
01-30-2006, 02:16 PM
General Motors has released version 5 .0 of its GPS database. My dealer has not been able to tell me whether this update has been produced by DENSO, the manufacturer of the prior databases, or the new supplier TeleAtlas.

They are ordering a copy of the database for me to try. Considering all the errors in the prior version, if these are not corrected in new version, certainly there would be no point in upgrading for $337. Furthermore, considering the numerous errors in the prior version, I somewhat take the position that Cadillac should provide this update for no charge. I believe that would be a battle, however.

Eyedoc
01-31-2006, 09:34 AM
While I have noted a few errors in the GPS database for my 2004 XLR, I also have a 2005 Honda Hybrid and the GPS on it has far more errors.

Not sure this anything more than an ongoing continual process improvement endeavor. In any case, its better than having nothing.

pamlicopirate
01-31-2006, 12:50 PM
General Motors has released version 5 .0 of its GPS database. My dealer has not been able to tell me whether this update has been produced by DENSO, the manufacturer of the prior databases, or the new supplier TeleAtlas.

They are ordering a copy of the database for me to try. Considering all the errors in the prior version, if these are not corrected in new version, certainly there would be no point in upgrading for $337. Furthermore, considering the numerous errors in the prior version, I somewhat take the position that Cadillac should provide this update for no charge. I believe that would be a battle, however.

I just traded my 02 Escalade Ext for a 06 with the nav. option. It came with 2 free upgrades when introduced. If they can do it for an Escalade maybe if we all raise a little caine we might get an upgrade for the XLR.

jamsto
01-31-2006, 07:39 PM
Both of our 2006 XLRs came with 2 free upgrades. That is part of the standard package now.

XLRcited
02-01-2006, 12:35 PM
Both of our 2006 XLRs came with 2 free upgrades. That is part of the standard package now.

Can you tell me what database version you have in your 2006 (the newest is version 5.0)? The version # is printed on the DVD. Also, tell me the name of the company that produced it. Is it Denso (which did the 2004/2005 versions) or TeleAtlas - supposedly the new supplier.

Thanks.

Bill

jamsto
02-01-2006, 06:16 PM
The 2006 has the Denso.

XLRcited
02-02-2006, 02:24 PM
The 2006 has the Denso.

Ugh! That's not good news.:nodno

The salesmanager at my dealership indicated that he would borrow a new version DVD from one of the 2006's that will be rolling in shortly. The fact that DENSO produced this version does not give me any encouragement that these errors have been rectified.

Bill

Quixotic
02-03-2006, 03:25 PM
Has anyone tried to make a (er) backup copy of their DVD?